Skyrim:The Forsworn Conspiracy
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Meet with Eltrys in the Shrine of Talos after receiving his note.
- Find evidence about Margret.
- Find evidence about Weylin.
- Find evidence about Thonar.
- Find out who "N" is.
- Find evidence about Nepos.
- Return to the Shrine to complete the quest. Note that Eltrys has been killed. You will be arrested and taken to Cidhna Mine.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 An Attack
While walking through an open market in Markarth near stalls for the Jeweller and Meat Vendor, Weylin will attempt to kill a woman named Margret while she is buying jewelry. During the attack, he yells incoherently about the Forsworn. It is possible to save Margret if you're fast enough, and if you succeed in doing so she rewards you with a necklace. (Preventing the murder will affect the course of the quest; see Notes, below.)
You may take Margret's key from her body if she dies, for use later in the quest, although you can acquire it from the innkeeper as well. After Weylin dies, talking to the guards will result in their telling you to leave it, and they will then assure the small crowd that has gathered that the event has nothing to do with the Forsworn. All the stalls will be closed for a period of time. Shortly thereafter, Eltrys will approach you and ask if you saw what happened. He will then give you a note that he says you dropped. The note tells you to meet Eltrys at the Shrine of Talos.
Travel to the shrine, underneath the Temple of Dibella. To get there, climb the stairs at the north corner of the marketplace, follow the bridge to the left, then take the path to the left and you should see the door. Descend into the temple and speak to Eltrys, who will tell you that he is looking for answers about the Forsworn attacks that have been happening in the city. He will tell you to investigate Margaret and to find any information you can about the attacks.
To find information on Margret, go to the Silver-Blood Inn and ask Kleppr about her. He will say that she rented the nicest room in the inn, which is down the hall to the left of the entrance. If you did not obtain the key to her room from her corpse earlier, you can receive it through dialog with Kleppr, steal it from behind the bar, or just pick the lock to her door. Searching the end table in her room will yield Margret's Journal. After reading her journal, your objective will be to find evidence about Thonar Silver-Blood.
If Margret is alive, she will be sitting by the fire or standing out in the market place. She reveals that she is an Imperial spy, and that she was interested in the Silver-Blood's mine. She tells the player that she's sure Thonar arranged for her murder.
After finding information about Margret, a Guard will come up to you and tell you to "back off" and that it's your last warning to stop investigating. Being the perfect, upstanding citizen you are, ignore this warning.
Report back to Eltrys that Margret was investigating Thonar for a leveled gold reward.
Follow the river down to the wooden docks and head into The Warrens. You can talk to Mulush before going into the warrens if you want to pass a speech challenge about how to get the Weylin's key. When you enter, Garvey will greet you. Speak to him and ask him if he knew Weylin, then ask for the key. He will only give you the key if you pass a speech, intimidate or bribe challenge. If he doesn't give you the key, you will have to pick the lock on the door or pickpocket the key from him. Weylin's room is the one on the right, all the way at the back of The Warrens. Enter it and look in the chest to the left for Weylin's Note. Read the note and you will gain the objective "Find out who N is".
Once you exit The Warrens, a Breton named Dryston will approach you, say that "it's time you learned a lesson." All dialogue options will end in a brawl. If you attack him with anything but your fists (i.e., weapons or magic), you will receive a bounty and any guards that witness the attack will join in and fight you to the death. Once you beat Dryston, he will tell you that "N" is Nepos the Nose. You can again report back to Eltrys that Weylin got his orders from Nepos for a leveled gold reward.
Return back up the way you came down, and back up the stairs toward the Shrine of Talos, but this time just follow the path and you will end up in front of The Treasury House. Enter and tell Rhiada at the front desk that you need to see Thonar. She will let you speak with him if you pass a speech, intimidate, or bribe challenge, or you can pick the lock on the door.
When you enter the room you have two options, pickpocket his journal or speak with him. Asking about anything will end in him telling you to get out, at which point Nana Ildene (the old woman) will yell "For the Forsworn!" and kill Betrid Silver-Blood. Betrid's death is scripted - you cannot save her. Donnel (the old man who can be seen cleaning the Treasury House before the attack) will become hostile as well.
Kill Nana Ildene and Donnel, and then again talk to Thonar. He will curse the Forsworn, and then tell you that he has been controlling them by imprisoning their king Madanach. Madanach has now become "out of control," however.
Exit the Treasury House and go left, and head up the stairs. At the top of the second flight of stairs, the stairway forks. Take the stairs to the left to Nepos's House. Go in and talk to Uaile. No matter what you say to her, Nepos will say that you can go in and speak to him. When you do so, he will admit that he receives and executes orders from Madanach. He will then inform you that the maid at the door was actually a Forsworn agent and you won't be getting out of the house alive. Ending conversation with Nepos will cause everyone in the house to become hostile to you.
Alternatively, pickpocket Nepos's journal to gather the evidence secretly and avoid the fight. Lingering too long after the theft here will result in everyone becoming hostile anyway.
 Do the Time
Exit Nepos's house and go back down the stairs, across the bridge, and into the shrine again. Eltrys has been killed by a group of guards lying in wait for you. A guard in the shrine will tell you that they have to pin the murder(s) on you now, that you will spend the rest of your life in Cidhna Mine, and attempt to arrest you. You can either resist arrest or go to jail. Agreeing to be taken to jail leads to the quest No One Escapes Cidhna Mine. If you resist arrest, every guard in Markarth will become hostile and attack on sight. As soon as you submit and agree to be taken to jail, you'll continue to the next quest.
- It is possible to save Margret from Weylin's attack if you act as soon as he pulls his knife. If you attack him, he will become hostile towards you and attack you instead of Margret. Margret will reward you for saving her and you will not get a bounty on your head. This will have an effect on the information gathering stage of the quest.
- It is not necessary to complete all objectives to advance the quest to the final stage. Upon completion of any task AFTER discovering Margret's status as a spy, the final scene will trigger the next time you enter the Shrine of Talos.
- If you complete the negotiations between the Empire and the Stormcloaks and you choose to give Markarth to the Stormcloaks, you will not be able to complete this quest if you began it but did not meet with Eltrys. Upon entering the Shrine of Talos, you will find Eltrys dead, but the guards will not arrest you for the murder. If you choose to go to jail, you will not be able to gain entrance to the King in Rags' cell to continue the quest.[verification needed — see ]
- When returning to Eltrys for the final time it is possible to complete the quest by entering in sneak mode, staying at the top of the stairs in the Shrine of Talos, and firing an arrow into the only visible guard at the bottom. The bow and arrow should be sufficiently powerful to one-shot kill the guard using the triple damage bonus otherwise all three guards will run up the stairs to kill you. Sneak out of the Shrine before the remaining two guards spot you. Re-enter to go down the stairs to see the dead guard between the two standing guards in front of the altar. Click one of the guards for a monologue and start PC console in time to finish the current quest and start the next one thus skipping jail time.
- If you have completed the quest Silver Lining, you will have the dialogue option to tell the guards you want to clear your bounty for half the cost. However, the guard will tell you he doesn't care who you're with, and your only option will be jail time in Cidhna Mine.
- If Nana Ildene and Donnel die before you talk to Thonar, Betrid will die without anyone being there to kill her. She will not die if you never talk to Thonar.
- If you are having trouble starting the next quest No One Escapes Cidhna Mine after this quest is completed and submit to go to jail, with no reason, even if you complete this quest before starting one of two civil quest, try this solution. proceed this quest as normal. and when you are at the end of the quest and you are in Talos' Shrine, You'll see Markarth Guards waiting for you. One of the guards will initiate a dialogue with you. You've got three option whether you go to jail, pay the gold, or refuse submission. At this time, don't close the dialogue menu, open the console menu right now, and type
setstage ms02 10. And the next quest will start with no problem.
- If you enter Markarth for the first time while completing the A Night to Remember quest and it is nighttime, the incident in the marketplace which initiates this quest will not have happened. This can lead to a few other bugs:
- If you then proceed to pickpocket Thonar's Journal before morning and then enter the Shrine of Talos, you will find Eltrys's dead body and three guards who will arrest you for his murder as well as the other murders around the city (even though no one else has died), thus completing a quest which never started. This also prevents the deaths of Margret, Betrid, Nana and Donnel.
- If the incident in the marketplace does not occur, Vigilant Tyranus will not spawn in Markarth, preventing you from starting the House of Horrors quest.
- If you become a Thane of the Reach before starting or completing this quest, you will not be arrested when you return to the Shrine of Talos, making you unable to complete the quest. Even if you murder a guard and submit to arrest, you still will not be able to complete the quest. Note that this bug appears to be fixed in v1.5
- Followers may get permanently stuck in the Shrine of Talos, regardless of if the quest is completed and you escaped from Cidhna Mine. If this happens, the follower will not leave even after you tell them to go home, and if they are moved elsewhere via console, they will walk back to the Shrine of Talos, no matter where in Skyrim they are.
- If the Markarth Guards do not warn you off after having investigated the Inn for Eltrys and you get stuck (Guards won't arrest you) when returning to him after finding out all you can about the Conspiracy, if you wander the streets and do meet the Guard who warns you off and then returning to the Temple, you will still get arrested (or attempted to get arrested).
- It is possible for two guards and an Imperial soldier to spawn at the Shrine of Talos instead of three guards, with the middle guard being replaced by the Imperial soldier. The Imperial soldier will not give dialog options that allow the completion of the quest, instead preferring to talk about the war. The other guards will not initiate dialog. This will leave the quest stuck at this stage, since you cannot be framed and sent to prison for Eltrys' murder.
- If you use the console command
setstage ms02 10, then go commit a crime, get yourself arrested, and thrown in jail, the quest will proceed as normal.
- If you type
setstage ms01 100, the quest will end and you get teleported in prison, triggering the next quest. (you may need to use
setstage ms02 0, to start the next quest after being teleported to the mine)
- If you use the console command
- If you save Margret, but later take her journal, it becomes permanently stuck in your inventory as a quest item.
- If you give Margret's journal to Eltrys before leaving the Shrine of Talos and immediately after taking the quest, it will be bugged when re-entering the temple of talos to return the clues you found. There will only be two guards and if you talk to the one on the right, he talks as if he is guarding a dwemer museum and will not initiate any conversation about the murder.
- Even if you prevent Weylin from killing Margret, the journal update will say he killed her.
- The player may freeze after submitting to the guards to complete the quest. The freeze appears to be caused by the
removeallitemsconsole command, and thus allows the player to test if they are a victim of this particular bug by using it on themselves. Simply storing your items into a container and taking them out fixes the bug, allowing you to continue.
- If the player pickpockets Nepos's Journal and only reads it after going outside, the quest will update and tell you to go meet Eltrys, but when you do, only two guards are waiting next to Eltrys's body and won't initiate dialogue. This can be fixed by going back to Nepos's house and killing everyone there.
- If the player is wanted in Markarth for a separate reason, you have to deal with the guards first, then leave the Shrine of Talos and come back.
- Dryston may fail to spawn when you have exited the Warrens.
- If you go into the shrine of Talos after having completed the recon and the third guard is absent, and fails to show after waiting, restarting the quest, and other suggested fixes, kill the two guards present then submit to arrest. Serve the jail time, then come back after being released from jail. Fix worked 3/3 times
- When acquiring Weylin's Note from the chest, taking the note adds 'Read Weylin's Note to your journal, even if you read the note before taking it. Reading it again doesn't update the journal, but the next quest stage (the brawl) does.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 10, 12, 13, 32, 37, 39, 41, 42, 43, 45, 49, 50, 52, 54, 55, 57, 60, 61, 72, 74, 82, 90.