UESPWiki:Copyright and Ownership
The content of UESP is licensed freely under the Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License (also called the by-sa license). This means that you retain ownership of any contribution you submit to us, but you permanently license the right to use it to this site. The by-sa license is a copyleft license, meaning the text of the articles can be copied, modified, and redistributed as long as the new version acknowledges the authors of the article and grants the same freedoms to others.
Links to our licenses:
There are many aspects of the ownership of the site:
- The site itself is owned and operated by Dave Humphrey.
- The copyright of a particular edit is owned by the user who made the edit.
- The software that the site uses, MediaWiki, is owned by the Wikimedia Foundation.
- The Elder Scrolls, Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard, Battlespire, Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, Stormhold, Dawnstar, Shadowkey, Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Skyrim, Dawnguard, Elder Scrolls Online, Bethesda Softworks, Vir2L, ZeniMax Online Studios, ZeniMax and their respective logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc.
Secondly, there is the control of the site. As it is said below the "Save Page" button of every page, you allow all of your contributions to UESPWiki to be edited, altered, or removed by the community. If you don't want your writing to be edited, then you do not need to submit it here. Therefore, the community of UESP has the authority and control over most of the content on UESP. There are certain pages, however, that only the administrators have control of.
Copyright information must be added to the image description of every image. The copyright for individual components of screenshots from Bethesda's games belongs to them, but copyright for the overall composition rests with the image creator, and is licensed to UESP, as with textual content. The copyright for company logos belongs to those companies, but we are allowed to host them under United States law's "fair use" doctrine. Other pictures should be available under the by-sa license or in the public domain. Any images that violate copyright are subject to deletion.
Using Materials from UESP
If you want to use content from this site, you can do so, but you must follow the by-sa license. This entails the following:
- Your materials in turn must be licensed under our by-sa license.
- You must give attribution to the article from which the content was taken.
- You must give access to the page where the content was used.
You may fulfill the last two obligations by directly linking back to the article hosted on the site as well as the history page of the article. For example, if you were to use the article "Felsaad Coast" from our site, an example notice might read as follows:
- This article is licensed under the <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/">Creative Commons by-sa license</a>. It uses material from the UESP article <a href="http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Bloodmoon:Felsaad_Coast">"Bloodmoon:Felsaad Coast"</a>.