|This article is currently being redeveloped in the sandbox User:Dwarfmp/Sandbox3, by Dwarfmp. However, you are welcome to help in the discussion/construction of this ongoing project—your input will be appreciated. If no editor has made any changes in a while, please contact the main editor via the talk page or, if they're inactive, remove this template. This WIP notice was originally posted on 12 March 2012.|
|Primary Skills||Light Armor, Sneak, Archery, One-handed|
|Perks||Bladesman (rank 1); Dual Flurry (rank 1); Fighting Stance; Hack and Slash (rank 1); Savage Strike; Stealth (rank 5)|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionThievesGuild; FavorExcludedFaction; Riften Ragged Flagon Faction; Riften Thieves Guild Headquarters Faction; ThievesGuildFaction (Agent)|
Brynjolf is a Nord thief, and a member of the Thieves Guild in Riften. He is initially found at a market stall in the center of Riften selling mysterious red elixirs, although he will usually approach you and inform you that he knows you didn't make all of your money legally. He has a rivalry with fellow merchant Madesi, who doubts Brynjolf's potions are real. Brynjolf will task you with stealing Madesi's ring as an initiation for joining the Thieves Guild. Once you join the Guild, he will move to the guild hall in Riften's Ratway.
 Related Quests
- A Cornered Rat: Locate Esbern.
- A Chance Arrangement: Help teach a merchant to mind his own business.
- Taking Care of Business: Help Brynjolf collect some debts for the Thieves Guild.
- Loud and Clear: Send a message to a former Thieves Guild client.
- Dampened Spirits: Put Maven Black-Briar's competition out of business.
- The Pursuit: Break into Mercer Frey's house and search for clues.
- Trinity Restored: Become one of the Nightingales, Nocturnal's guardians.
- Blindsighted: Stop Mercer Frey.
- Under New Management: Become the Guildmaster of the Thieves Guild.
- Prior to beginning any Thieves Guild missions, Brynjolf is totally invincible when outside in Riften. In fact, the game treats him as a ghost. He takes no damage, regardless of the source, and cannot be staggered or knocked back. Nevertheless, attacking him will cause him to become hostile.
- He is voiced by Robin Atkin Downes.
- There is a rumor that he is having an affair with Tonilia.
- Upon completing the Thieves Guild questline, Brynjolf will constantly repeat the same line of dialog, and will no longer be open for interaction.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.