|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak with Brynjolf and Karliah at the Thieves Guild.
- Meet Karliah at The Shadow Stone just outside Riften.
- Enter Nightingale Hall and follow Karliah's instructions.
- Equip the Nightingale Armor.
- Proceed further into the cave and follow Karliah's instructions.
- Speak to Brynjolf about the leadership of the Guild.
 Detailed Walkthrough
Return to the Thieves Guild and show Brynjolf what you found at Riftweald Manor. He will explain the significance of your findings, and tell you to listen to Karliah.
When you speak to Karliah, she makes a reference to being at full strength before pursuing Mercer, and asks you and Brynjolf to meet her at The Shadow Stone outside of Riften. Nearby is the entrance to Nightingale Hall. Proceed inside, but don't get too far ahead - Karliah tells you more about the Nightingales and their role. After crossing the bridge, you can find a copy of the Pickpocket skill book Purloined Shadows to the right.
Your first stop is the armor chamber. Activate the stone; the Nightingale Armor is placed in your inventory. You must equip it before continuing. Follow Karliah further into the cave; side passages lead to sleeping quarters, where you can find a copy of the Sneak skill book The Red Kitchen Reader and living spaces. She will later remark that this was the Nightingales' base, and that she will return here once done with Mercer. Karliah is the only one who can operate the pull chain for the gate leading into the next area.
You are directed to stand on a specific platform. If you have a follower with you, their presence does not affect the outcome in any way. Karliah summons Nocturnal and asks to resume her role as a Nightingale as well as induct you and Brynjolf into their ranks. Nocturnal agrees. If asked, Karliah will explain the role of the Nightingales, and also how Mercer got into the vault without having the necessary keys. Brynjolf will address the issue of the leadership of the Thieves Guild, saying that he and Karliah think you would be the right person for the job, once you have done all the Thieves Guild additional jobs.
- Brynjolf may not begin walking towards Karliah in the Ragged Flagon and the dialogue will not initiate to begin the quest.
- Reloading from an earlier save may fix this.
- It's possible that Brynjolf will walk away when you've arrived in the hall and are asked to get your armor.
- Push him through the cave.
- You can use the console by clicking on him (or typing
prid 20545), and then typing
moveto player to teleport him to you. Make sure he's near you when you don the armor when Karliah is about to ask you to take the oath, which should fix his AI (confirmed by his comment on his new outfit).
- If only you and Karliah make it to the stones before taking the oath and Brynjolf is still walking away, use console command
setstage TG08A 55. This starts the cinematic sequence without Brynjolf, who will join the show slightly later.
- Karliah sometimes may not meet you at Nightingale Hall, making the quest impossible to finish.
- Karliah will sometimes go back to the Frozen Hearth where you have met to decrypt Gallus' journal. It is related to the bug in the quest Hard Answers where the stages will not update. Redo Hard Answers step by step, and the quest Trinity Restored will reactivate.
- You can use the console and type
setStage TG06 60 and go to the cellar in the Frozen Hearth to talk again to Enthir and Karliah. After this Karliah and Brynjolf will be at the entrance of the Nightingale Hall. (You can further check if this is the problem by typing
getStage TG06 in the console. If the Stage is smaller than 200 then this is the cause of Karliah's disappearance). If setting the stage to 60 doesn't work, enter
setstage TG06 200 to complete the quest Hard Answers. Karliah will then begin her long trek to Nightingale Hall. Fast travel to the hall, wait for 24 hours and she will show up.
- Alternatively, type in the console
prid 00020545 (for Brynjolf) or
prid 00058F1A (for Karliah), followed by the command
moveto player. Use the latter command as many times as necessary to lead the selected NPC to the stones; you may need to activate the stone multiple times to get Brynjolf and/or Karliah to equip their Nightingale armors. You may still be required to use the command as you continue further down the halls. Do not use the
placeatme commands unless either NPC has completely disappeared from the game (i.e. not stuck or lost), otherwise you will create a clone of the NPC which may cause undesirable results in-game.
- Sometimes, Karliah will simply turn around and walk out of the cave instead of opening the gate. As she is the only one able to open it, this will render the quest impossible to complete.
- Attacking Karliah may cause her to turn around and open the gate.
- Exiting the conversation with her will allow the stage to reset itself, and may fix this.
- Since the bug seems to involve the conversation with Brynjolf, you can sometimes circumvent the bug by talking to Brynjolf continually until Karliah opens the gate.
- You can also fix Karliah from walking away if you tell her that you don't understand the full meaning of being a Nightingale. She will ask you again and then if you say you are ready, you can enter the room to finish the ritual.
- Open the console, click on the gate and use the command
setstage tg08a 52. You can now see the cinematic involving Nocturnal. As with all console commands, exercise extreme caution.
- Karliah may be going to the exit instead of opening the door to the Nightingale contract. To repair this, use
disable on the door, and use
disable on Karliah and
enable to fix her before using
moveto player to teleport her to you. After that, use
setstage tg08a 52 and they may walk to their own spots.
- If none of the above works, run to the gate while Karliah talks to Brynjolf. After they are done talking, open the console and execute the following commands:
prid 58f1a and
moveto player. This should teleport Karliah to you. If she doesn't start a conversation with you just talk to her. After you accept the oath she should now open the gate and proceed inside the chamber
- When you stand on the marker to summon Nocturnal, nothing may happen. ?
- Move around a little until the cinematic begins.
- After entering Nightingale Hall and donning the Nightingale armor, Karliah may pull the chain for the gate twice, when it should only be once. Because only Karliah can activate the chain, this can be problematic, trapping Karliah, Brynjolf, and possibly you inside or outside the cave. ?
- Quickly talk to Karliah before she can pull the chain a second time.
- If you enter the cave with your followers, Karliah may stop before the bridge and not go any farther. ?
- Have your followers wait outside.
 Quest Stages
|Trinity Restored (TG08A)
||Before intercepting Mercer Frey, Karliah wishes to speak to both Brynjolf and myself.
(Objective is assigned): Listen to Karliah
||At this stage, Karliah will initiate the dialogue before moving on to the next stage (move to this to avoid bug).
||Karliah has indicated Brynjolf and I are to meet her at an old standing stone just outside the Southwest Gate of Riften. Her motivations for doing so are mysterious, but I suspect it has something to do with the Nightingales.
(Objective is assigned): Meet Karliah at the standing stone
||(Objective is assigned): Follow Karliah
||Karliah has informed Brynjolf and I that we're to join the elite ranks of the Nightingales and assist in reforming the trinity that was disrupted over twenty-five years ago when Mercer Frey murdered Gallus.
(Objective is assigned): Activate the Armor Stone
||(Objective is assigned): Equip the Nightingale Armor
||(Objective is assigned): Follow Karliah
||(Objective is assigned): Stand on vacant floor glyph
||I've undertaken the Oath and I'm now a Nightingale, guardian of the Twilight Sepulcher and a dedicated sentinel of the goddess Nocturnal.
||(Objective is assigned): Speak to Karliah
||(Objective is assigned): Speak to Brynjolf
||Karliah has finally revealed the fundamental mission of the Nightingales... the guardianship of the Skeleton Key of Nocturnal. This powerful artifact, normally kept safely within the Twilight Sepulcher, has been stolen by Mercer Frey. As a Nightingale, the duty to recover the Skeleton Key falls squarely upon my shoulders.
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 25, 35, 47, 52, 55