Skyrim:Reunification of Skyrim
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|To meet our site's higher standard of quality, this article or section may require cleanup. The user who placed this here had the following concern:
The list of quests by hold doesn't yet completely guide through the major contingencies.
To leave a message about the cleanup for this article, please add it to this article's
 Quick Walkthrough
- Regain The Pale.
- Regain The Rift.
- Regain Winterhold.
- Regain Hjaalmarch.
- Regain The Reach.
- Regain Eastmarch.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Quest Options
The overall goal of the quest is to conquer for the Empire, each hold of Skyrim that is currently under Stormcloak control. You will accomplish this one hold at a time, by taking control of the military fort in each. The holds to be conquered can be altered by negotiations during Season Unending, if you do it before this quest, and therefore there are many possible ways to complete this quest.
- Without doing Season Unending, only the Stormcloak-controlled holds in the following table need to be conquered.
- The Imperial-controlled holds only need to be conquered if given to the Stormcloaks during Season Unending.
- The Stormcloak-controlled holds will not need to be conquered if taken from the Stormcloaks during Season Unending.
|Hold||Initial Allegiance||Imperial Camp||Quests|
|Haafingar||Imperial||None||Always Imperial-controlled (if you have joined the Imperials)|
|Whiterun Hold||Neutral||Whiterun Imperial Camp||Always becomes Imperial-controlled during the previous quest, Battle for Whiterun|
|The Pale||Stormcloaks ||Pale Imperial Camp|
|The Rift||Stormcloaks ||Rift Imperial Camp|
|Winterhold||Stormcloaks ||Winterhold Imperial Camp|
|Hjaalmarch||Imperial ||Hjaalmarch Imperial Camp|
|The Reach||Imperial ||Reach Imperial Camp|
|Falkreath Hold||Imperial ||Falkreath Imperial Camp|
|Eastmarch||Stormcloaks||Eastmarch Imperial Camp||Eastmarch is always the final hold that needs to be conquered.|
One final complication is that when you complete the quest Dragonslayer during the Main Quest, any hold (other than Eastmarch) that you have previously been tasked with liberating is immediately transferred to Imperial control. All remaining quests for that hold are skipped, and you need to return to Solitude to receive the next assignment from Tullius.
 The Pale
- The Pale does not need to be regained if it was given to the Imperials during Season Unending
After defending Whiterun from the Stormcloaks, talk to General Tullius. He will promote you to Quaestor and order you to meet Legate Rikke at the Pale Imperial Camp. Speak to Rikke there using the "Reporting for duty" dialogue option. This will launch the quest A False Front.
Complete that quest and then return to Legate Rikke, who will commend you and pay you leveled gold. Report for duty again and she will order you to join a group of soldiers who are staging to take Fort Dunstad from the Stormcloaks. This initiates The Battle for Fort Dunstad quest.
 The Rift
- The Rift does not need to be regained if it was given to the Imperials during Season Unending
After completing The Battle for Fort Dunstad, your journal will tell you to report to General Tullius. When you speak with him at Castle Dour in Solitude, he will commend you then promote you to Praefect. He'll give you orders telling you that you're needed in the Rift. Report to Rikke at the Rift Imperial Camp who will tell you that the steward of Riften is corrupt and secretly in league with the Thieves Guild, something that can be used to blackmail her into giving information that will aid to the Legion. This will begin the Compelling Tribute quest.
After completing that quest, return to Rikke who will commend you and reward you with leveled gold. Then report in to her and she will tell you to take Fort Greenwall after meeting the men outside, which triggers the quest The Battle for Fort Greenwall.
- Winterhold does not need to be regained if it was given to the Imperials during Season Unending
After completing The Battle for Fort Greenwall, your journal will tell you to report to General Tullius. Do so and he will commend you and promote you to Tribune (he may not mention the promotion, but he will give it). He'll then order you to report to the Winterhold Imperial Camp. At the camp, Rikke will tell you that there are Imperial Legionnaires imprisoned at Fort Kastav and that she wants to turn that into an advantage. This will trigger the quest Rescue from Fort Kastav.
 The Reach
- The Reach only needs to be regained if it was given to the Stormcloaks during Season Unending
After the Rescue from Fort Kastav, your journal will tell you to report to General Tullius (again). Return to Solitude and talk to him. He will promote you to the upper echelons of the Imperial Legion as a Legate and leveled armor as a symbol of your new rank. He wants you to report to Legate Rikke (again) at the Reach Imperial Camp this time. Get there and she'll tell you to take Fort Sungard this time, triggering The Battle for Fort Sungard.
Report to General Tullius. He will tell you that the Legion will take Windhelm soon, and to report to Legate Rikke at the Eastmarch Imperial Camp. Report for duty to her there, and she'll tell you to take Fort Amol to use as a staging point to attack Windhelm, triggering The Battle for Fort Amol.
After the Battle for Windhelm, General Tullius will have a short dialogue with Ulfric Stormcloak, who will request that the Dragonborn be the one to kill him as it will "make for a better song." General Tullius won't care whether you kill Ulfric or not, just as long as he's dead. If you choose to kill Ulfric, General Tullius will tell you to use his sword (which is a leveled sword) to do the deed. If you choose to allow Tullius to do it, the General will reward you with a leveled sword anyway. After rewarding you, the General will rush with Rikke outside to give a speech to the troops promising increased pay and freedom for them to return to their families while giving compensation to families who have lost loved ones. This will end the quest and you're allowed to talk to Legate Rikke and General Tullius on what will happen next.
- An allied/friendly military camp located within an enemy hold, disappears upon completion of re-gaining that particular hold.
- This quest is mainly used to move you between the other Imperial quests.
- This quest and Liberation of Skyrim are different radiant versions of the same quest.
- When General Tullius sends you to Legate Rikke at the Winterhold Imperial Camp to begin Rescue from Fort Kastav, (the "Regain Winterhold Hold" quest), she may not offer the "Reporting for duty" dialogue needed to proceed.
- Repeatedly asking General Tullius, "How is the war going?" seems to fix the issue, and Rikke will eventually present the option. You may have to ask him each time you complete the missions.
- If nothing else works, you may need complete the entire Reunification of Skyrim quest via the console command
setstage cwobj 255. You cannot use the console (setstage) to start the next appropriate quest within the series.
- After a promotion when returning to General Tullius, he will tell you to "take this blade." You may receive a random leveled weapon, but you may also receive a random piece of armor or shield, any of which may or may not be enchanted.
- This may be cleared by saving and resetting the entire system.
- After retaking Winterhold and upon talking to General Tullius, you will receive a piece of leveled armor. However, General Tullius gives you no further instructions and your journal has the text "Report to General Tullius". This prevents the quest line from continuing.
- At various points throughout the questline, Legate Rikke may not give you the next mission. One way to fix this is to ask General Tullius "How goes the war?" until the phrase is no longer white, or a 'new' dialogue option. He will give you some information about every battle you've won, initiating the 'Reporting for duty' prompt with Legate Rikke.
- Talk to Legate Rikke using one of the other dialogue options and it should appear within a few tries. If you still cannot get it, then attack until she falls to her knees. This should make the dialogue appear. However, if you do this, you will need to yield to her or pay a bounty in order to reduce her hostility.
- Using the cooking pot in the middle of any of the camps seems to somehow fix the dialogue.
- If a dragon attacks Eastmarch Camp, then killing it will fix dialogue issues.
- If during "Season Unending" you traded Markarth to the Stormcloaks you may need to go to Fort Sungard and kill all the stormcloaks in addition to fix this bug.
- There may still be dialogue issues when you reach Winterhold. To prevent this, work through "Reunification of Skyrim" until you finish regaining Fort Greenwall. Before you report to General Tullius, finish the main questline. During "Season Unending", you will be given the option to put Winterhold on the negotiating table. It will most likely be the only option given, since you have control of the other holds thus far. If you choose that option, then all of the Imperial quests regarding Winterhold will be skipped and will automatically fall under Imperial control, without requiring you to attempt bugged conversations.
- After retaking Fort Dunstadt and before reporting to General Tullius; Using console command "SetStage CWMission07 9999" will allow you to see the 'reporting in' dialogue from Leggete Rikke at the Rift Imperial Camp.
- If Legate Rikke does eventually give the "Reporting in" dialogue at the Eastmarch Camp, you may notice that she still has the quest arrow over her head and she won't talk to you anymore (she just repeats "We're storming the castle, everybody move out"). At this point, while Eastmarch is still not completed in your journal, you will have begun the Storming the Castle quest. The journal tells you to report to General Tullius for orders, but talking to him in Castle Dour will not advance the quest. You need to travel to Windhelm and then proceed towards the city gates. You will find Tullius here surrounded by men. Simply listen to him give his speech and you'll be able to proceed with the quest to defeat Ulfric without further trouble.
- You may not be able to 'report in' to Legate Rikke if you have completed Season Unending but have not completed the main questline entirely.
- Legate Rikke may not be present at Pale Imperial Camp when you arrive to report to her, although the quest marker may point to an unoccupied spot within the camp.
- Waiting for 24 hours may cause Rikke to appear, allowing you to continue the quest.
- The war strategy maps located at military bases and command headquarters do not update correctly.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- After the Unofficial Skyrim Patch is applied, each map needs to be visited twice for the correction to take effect in saved games.
 Quest Stages
Only stages relevant to the Reunification of Skyrim (rather than Liberation of Skyrim) are included in the table.