The Imperial Legion is the military force of the Empire of Tamriel. Serving under the authority of the Emperor, the Legion, with its vast numbers, quality training, and rigid discipline, is considered one of the most powerful fighting forces ever assembled. A history and detailed description of the Legion is provided here.
The Legion is a joinable faction in Skyrim, and its conflict with the Stormcloak Rebellion plays an integral role in the main quest. The Imperial Legion is in conflict with the Stormcloaks during Skyrim's Civil War, and is charged with hunting down and eradicating its members throughout the province and quelling the rebellion. The Imperial Legion in Skyrim is led by General Tullius.
Following your narrow escape from execution at Helgen during the quest Unbound, and just after Alduin flies off, you will have a choice to follow either Hadvar or Ralof into Helgen Keep. If you choose Hadvar, and then from the keep either accompany him on the road to, or leave and rejoin him in Riverwood, he will invite you to join the Imperial Legion, or he might make the offer in Alvor's house in Riverwood. If you instead follow Ralof, you will be asked to join the Stormcloaks.
If you make no choice at that point, Imperial soldiers that you will encounter in your travels, or upon entering an Imperial camp will encourage you to join the Legion by going to Solitude, where you will be directed to Legate Rikke at Castle Dour. Speaking with her can initiate the quest Join the Imperial Legion.
Before you complete that quest, however, (or before you start it) you may instead decide to join the Stormcloaks. If you do so, the Join the Imperial Legion quest will fail if it has been initiated; however, you will have an opportunity to join the Legion later. At the end of the second quest for the Stormcloaks, The Jagged Crown, you can take the crown to General Tullius, who will admit you to the Legion.
- Joining the Legion: Prove yourself worthy to join the Imperial Legion. ( 10 pts/Bronze)
- Get Outfitted: Get a free set of Imperial armor.
- The Jagged Crown: Find the Jagged Crown for the Imperials.
- Message to Whiterun: Deliver the message that will decide Whiterun's allegiance.
- Battle for Whiterun: Protect Whiterun from the Stormcloak invasion. (radiant)
- Reunification of Skyrim: Reunite Skyrim under the leadership of the Empire. (radiant)
- A False Front: Find and deliver some forged documents to the Stormcloaks.
- The Battle for Fort Dunstad: Regain the Pale for the Imperials. (radiant)
- Compelling Tribute: Use a corrupt steward to gain intelligence on the Stormcloaks. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Greenwall: Take Fort Greenwall for the Imperials. (radiant) ( 10 pts/Bronze)
- The Battle for Fort Sungard: Take Fort Sungard for the Imperials. (radiant) ( 10 pts/Bronze — only if The Battle for Fort Greenwall did not need to be completed)
- Rescue from Fort Kastav: Rescue the prisoners and regain Winterhold Hold for the Imperials. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Snowhawk: Take Fort Snowhawk for the Imperials. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Neugrad: Take back Fort Neugrad for the Imperials. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Amol: Prepare for the final assault on Windhelm. (radiant)
|Auxiliary||Complete Joining the Legion|
|Quaestor||Complete Battle for Whiterun|
|Praefect||Complete The Battle for Fort Dunstad|
|Tribune||Complete The Battle for Fort Greenwall or The Battle for Fort Sungard|
|Legate||Complete Rescue from Fort Kastav|
Camps of Imperial Legion soldiers can be found in each hold of Skyrim except for Haafingar. These are marked on the map with the symbol of the Seal of Akatosh. Imperial camps will only ever exist in holds controlled by the Stormcloaks, and vice-versa, so these camps may not exist, depending on the player's chosen side and progress in the Civil War.
- Eastmarch Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp in the hills of Eastmarch, southeast of Windhelm.
- Falkreath Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp on the northwest tip of Falkreath Hold, due east of Glenmoril Coven and north of Knifepoint Ridge.
- Hjaalmarch Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp in Hjaalmarch, located south of Ustengrav.
- Pale Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp west of Dawnstar.
- Reach Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp situated in the Reach, northeast of Markarth and west of the Shrine to Peryite and Karthwasten.
- Rift Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp in the Rift, located south of Ivarstead and a short distance west-southwest of the Ruins of Bthalft.
- Whiterun Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp to the east of Rorikstead.
- Windhelm Military Camp — An Imperial camp southeast of Windhelm.
- Winterhold Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp southeast of Dawnstar and north of Driftshade Refuge.
- If you side with the Imperial Legion, you cannot join the Stormcloak rebellion.
- Joining the Imperial Army may cause random spawned groups of Stormcloak Soldiers to attack you, and you will not be welcome in Stormcloak camps or forts anymore.