Oblivion talk:Useful Spells
|Archive 1: Feb 2007 - Jun 2007|
|Archive 2: May 2007 - Jun 2008|
|Archive 3: Jun 2008 - Apr 2009|
|Archive 4: Dec 2008 - Jul 2010|
|Archive 5: Aug 2010 - Aug 2011|
 Recuperate usefulness
OK, I crunched some numbers, and found that in order for a Willpower increase of 100 to be cost-effective you need to have a total magicka of 450 or more, otherwise it costs more to use the spell than the extra magicka regeneration you would gain for its duration. This is a photo of my working, if you can understand the handwriting and logic behind it. 
Basically, I'm suggesting amending the information of that spell (to say need you need a total magicka of over 450 for it to be mathematically useful), or deleting it. As for the restore health part of the spell, that would cost more, but not affect the magicka regeneration change. InvisibleMuffin 22:36, 5 September 2011 (UTC)
 A 'heavily edited" headline
I don't know how to do it, but I would like to suggest someone who knows should a one of those "This article is heavily edited" boxes, because this article is always having random spells made up and added to it and such. Eric Snowmane 01:20, 18 October 2011 (UTC)
 Will this spell train my illusion?
I have made this spell with paralysis 5 seconds with 100pts fire damage. The spell is from the school of destruction, but will it improve my illusion? GoHurtSomething 16:59, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
- No, it fully counts as a destruction spell. You could check that by seeing whether your illusion skill did rise after casting the spell :) -Borbarad
 Analysis of Spell Chaining and the mechanics
I see you goth ther real nice Brain worck in analise of my Self sufficient Chaining spell . And it only took like 2,5 years to break them and all that to be removed after. Is realy shame thet behevior and ignoring of my ideas in frst pleace becouse of bad English. now thing i do not understand, do moders of this sections play this game or they only know game from reading abouth it?
- From what I understood, I think one of the main people around here (Rpeh?) was not able to make a chainspell successfully and claimed they don't work, so he removed the chainspell section in the first place. -Borbarad 20:27, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
I dont understand whay he dont understand my spells. They are they are child's play for me and i think they will be for all now when i explain them in such a way. Frst of all you must bear in mind are only 2 things.
Frst Fortify Magicka When the Fortify Magicka effect wears off, you will have lost all the excess Magicka but YOU WILL NEVER BE LEFT WHIT NEGATIVE MAGICKA POOL. Now this part in Caps is for some reson removed from Fortify Magicka page but i clearly remember its correct and it whas ther before and it is weri important information.
Second Drain Magicka,Drain Intelligence This part of my spells is just one that make your magicka pool att 0 wen your Fortify Magicka effect is on, and i do hope you understand whay.
So now i hope all can understand base mexanic of this spell and i repeat base only, so you now mast aggre they are loggic and ther is no reson whay they will not worck especialy becouse i use them in game in time they are posted here.....nEVER_BoRN
Well i got some fre time and i dicided to just upload save file which have character whit some spells i deskribed and they names start whit "Spell" (1-5). So if you have doubth you can test them your self, and i mast say they are just a miner version of power they can have whit proper skill level and intelligence. And please use console to restore Restoration to 35 and well you will need to get minimum level 25 Destruction skill, so just use console so you can see how spell worck....nEVER_BoRN
- Spell chaining does in fact work, of course, as has been explored thoroughly in the archives of this talk page, especially Archive 5. Nevertheless, I think it relies a lot on the mechanics of the spell system, rather than just applying straight-forward effects in unusual combinations, which makes it a bit more of a dubious addition to the article. I wouldn't object to seeing a small explanation of spell chaining with one or two proof-of-concept spells to demonstrate, but my impression is that spell chaining isn't something that most players use in their games, so the section should be left appropriately small, if it's added at all. Also, before being added to the page, you'd have to ensure that the English was high quality, or we're just going to revert it based on that alone. If we weren't all busy with Skyrim right now, we might have time to help you with it, but at the moment, unless the finished product is fairly high quality right from the start, we're not going to spend the time on it. – Robin Hood↝talk 08:23, 23 January 2012 (UTC)
 Need help creating spells
I've joined the Mages Guild and I'm trying to figure out how to use the Spellmaking Altar to empower my Breton Mage (Level 9). After looking at the "Useful Spells" page, I thought I'd try to create some of them. The first problem was that many of the suggested spell components don't seem to be available to me. Is it because of my low level? Then I decided to attempt to apply spell-chaining logic to the few that WERE available. I found Weakness to Fire, and Flare. I tried creating a Weakness-to-Fire-100 plus Flare-20, both in a 10 foot radius, thinking that would give me superior fire damage, then I tacked Fortify Magicka onto it to give me a boost every time I cast it. I promptly went out to test it against a warthog in a nearby field. It was completely ineffective. Is there some wise sensei who could provide this ignorant wanna-be mage some guidance? Jacovny (talk) 01:56, 3 November 2012 (GMT)jacovny
 Over-powered chain casting spell
This is a spell I made which relies on the chain casting technique. It uses a large amount of magicka and as such is only practical for high level characters who have at least 300 magicka and mastery of all magic schools. It deals a total of 370 damage over two seconds (740 damage if the weakness to magic effect is active when the target is hit), and will temporarily lower speed to zero (so the target can't do anything about what's happening).
- Fortify Magicka 100 pts for 2 seconds on self
- Fortify Intelligence 100 pts for 2 seconds on self
- Drain Magicka 3 pts for 2 seconds on self
- Damage Health 30 pts for 2 seconds on target
- Fire Damage 50 pts for 2 seconds on target
- Frost Damage 55 points for 2 seconds on target
- Shock Damage 50 points for 2 seconds on target
- Weakness to Magic 100 points for 2 seconds on target
- Drain Speed 100 points for 2 seconds on target
Bear in mind that a more optimization could be done, and if you don't mind doing it on touch, well, you'd dish out one helluva lot of damage. A more general spell would be:
- Fortify Magicka X pts for 2 seconds
- Fortify Intelligence Y pts for 2 seconds
- Drain Magicka 3 points for 2 seconds (if appropriate)
- Effects to use up the remaining magicka (casting cost of above effects-X-2Y)
Anyways, should this be added or not (I'm asking because chain casting spells have been removed before, it's kind of obvious to someone who knows of chain casting)--Sapien (talk) 22:13, 5 February 2013 (GMT)
Probably not, all who need mor of tips can just look on arhive. And your spell is not bad but it can be way beter, just some tips, dont be scared to up your drine effect and its duration, well experiment some or just look in old arhive. In time i played this game i chained spell from 50 magicka to 1500, but most of them wen used right way can give you magicka pool of 1500 only by casting them, and if combined whit similar spelss even mor. But its not something you ever need in game, except higer magicka pull you get this way do effect your regeneration of magicka. nEVER_BoRN