|Odahviing (RefID: 00045921)|
|Location||Throat of the World|
|1-3 Dragon Bones; 1-3 Dragon Scales; random amount of Gold; a chance of a Gem, a weapon, and/or armor.|
|Primary Skills||Archery, Block, One-handed, Sneak|
|Faction(s)||FavorExcludedFaction; OdahviingFaction; Special Dialogue Friendly Bleedout|
Odahviing is a Red Dragon that becomes your ally as part of the main quest. He can be summoned with the Call Dragon shout only while you're outdoors. This shout is simply his name, Od-Ah-Viing, Snow-Hunter-Wing. He can be seen flying around The Throat of the World, awaiting your call, once the main quest is complete. He can be very useful at any level as he is impossible to kill and won't leave you until all nearby enemies are dead. He uses the Fire Breath shout and standard dragon melee attacks as his weapons.
 Related Quests
When shouting -
Immediately after his capture -
- . Caught like a bear in a trap...
- Ah. I forget. You do not have the dovah speech.
- My... eagerness to meet you in battle was my... undoing, Dovahkiin. I salute your, hmm, low cunning in devising such a - stratagem.
Opening dialogue for the first time -
- . You went to a great deal of trouble to put me in this... humilitating position.
- Alduin, hmm? No doubt you want to know where to find Alduin?
Upon release -
Speaking to him after he is released -
- - I await your command, as promised. Are you ready to see the world as only a dovah can?
Upon landing in Skuldafn -
- This is as far as I can take you. . I will look for your return, or Alduin's.
 Leveled List
|This page or section is incomplete. You can help by adding to it.
For more information, see the help files, the style guide, and this article's .
Odahviing's level is randomly determined when you enter onto the great porch of Dragonsreach during The Fallen quest, his level is then later reset as Dragonslayer ends on the death of Alduin but from that point is permanent. When his level is determined, the version is randomly chosen from all eligible ones. For example, the Odahviing for a level 18 player can be either level 20 or 40, but not 50.
- "Odahviing" literally translates to "Snow Hunter Wing". According to Esbern, it means "Winged Snow Hunter."
- When summoned by the player, he will begin to fly towards the player's location from the Throat of the World, and based on the pre-determined distance between the player and the Throat of the World, he can take anywhere from five to ten seconds to arrive.
- He cannot die and will not leave until all active enemies are dead. He will not be attacked by allies.
- When summoned by a player on the Throat of the World, he will appear to vanish from his usual mountain cycle and then appear somewhere else nearby, and proceed to fly towards the player from that position instead.
- If the player uses Dragonrend on Odahviing atop The Throat of the World, he will continue to circle the area as if nothing had happened.
- If he is downed in battle either from enemies or friendly-fire from the Dragonborn, the player can choose to speak to him (non-dialogue menu based) and can hear him say various single sentences before he flies off.
- Odahviing is leveled, but at a substantially higher level than the player until a maximum of level 50 is reached when the player is level 36. For this reason, it may be better to start The Fallen at higher levels when the player will find him an easier target. Also, with the exception of The World-Eater's Eyrie, Odahviing's level will remain as it was when first encountered, so if The Fallen is done early, Odahviing will become a decreasingly effective combatant as the player levels up.
- At his lowest level, Odahviing is as strong as a Blood Dragon. While at his maximum level he has the same status as an Ancient Dragon.
- You are able to ride Odahviing with the Dragonborn expansion. The easiest way to do so is to use the Bend Will shout while he's circling the Throat of the World. However, it is also possible to keep him around long enough to use Bend Will after using Call Dragon.
- Odahviing may not appear when called; there are no current fixes to this problem.
- It is possible that when called he won't attack. He just flies around making noise. This has been seen when the player is in combat with some other dragons.
- Odahviing will not come if called on Solstheim.