Tribunal:The Shrine of the Dead
|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak with Lord Archcanon Gavas Drin in his office in the Temple. Agree to cleanse the Shrine of the Dead.
- Follow Drin's directions to the Shrine, from his office to the Halls of Ministry, Basement, Temple Sewers, Temple Sewers East, Temple Gardens, and Temple Shrine.
- Kill all the Profane Acolytes surrounding the shrine (red light room).
- Return to the Temple and escort Urvel Dulni to the shrine and have him cleanse it.
- Return to Gavas to receive the Blessed Spear as your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Archcanon Gavas Drin
After your last quest from Fedris Hler in the Temple's Reception area, you are directed to see Lord Archcanon Gavas Drin in his office located close to Hler. Offer to provide service to our Lady and Gavas will tell you about the Shrine of the Dead found below in the Temple's sewer system. The Shrine has become corrupt with Undead over the years due to neglect and Drin would like you to cleanse it. Ask him about the Shrine of the Dead at least twice to receive directions to it and be sure to talk to him about the must be cleansed topic in order to learn that you will have to escort the Priest Urvel Dulni and protect him until he can cleanse the shrine. Urvel is standing in the same room as Gavas and you must speak with him in order to arrange the escort. It is a good idea to explore and clear the way as much as possible, before you escort him though (unless you like the extra challenge).
 Finding the Shrine of the Dead
Following the directions given to you by Gavas, enter the Temple basement found north of the Temple's Hall of Ministry. From the basement, with all the Kwama Eggs you could possibly want, it's a short trip down into the Temple Sewers. You can explore the area and find a few things including Variner's Ghost, which is part of a miscellaneous quest. The four deadly members of the Black Dart Gang in the West Temple Sewers (and the one member in the East Temple Sewers) are part of this quest as well. The Abandoned Crypt entrance here appears to be a dead end; although, there is a much larger area beyond the path blocked with rocks (the rocks are cleared at the beginning of the next quest for Almalexia.) There is a possible glitch here though, where by jumping at the rocks for a while, you can actually get into the main area. Once in, the rocks remove themselves so you can get out. When you've finished exploring, head on to the East Temple Sewers.
The East Temple Sewers contain a similar collection of Undead of varying levels, but nothing is as difficult as some of the Goblins that you've encountered previously. There are several areas that branch off from this area that you don't necessarily need to explore if you do not wish to (there isn't any spectacular loot that you would miss.) You can continue to the Temple Gardens from the north end of the East Temple Sewers and, from there, to the Temple Shrine at the south end of the Gardens. You can also reach the Shrine area from the Temple Catacombs. The areas involved in this dungeon are:
- Abandoned Crypt
- Gedna Relvel's Tomb (level 50 lock)
- Temple Basement
- Temple Catacombs
- Temple Crypt
- Temple Gardens
- Temple Sewers
- Temple Sewers East
- Temple Sewers West
- Temple Shrine
Gedna Relvel's Tomb is an interesting area that has a closed stone door which is easily missed if you are not careful in your search. The secret doors are opened by standing on the stone in front of the doors, but you must be involved in the Crimson Plague before they will activate.
 Temple Shrine
The Shrine area is the one you were sent to clear. There are a number of Profane Acolytes guarding the 'red' light room which you must kill (you receive a journal entry when you kill them all). Be careful with them, because they almost always summon Greater Bonewalkers, which can Damage Strength and Endurance. If you left Priest Urvel Dulni back in the Temple, you will have to go and retrieve him in order to complete the cleansing of the shrine. Like most NPCs you may want to keep him in sight lest he get lost, trapped, or killed by any undead that reappears in the area. Once you get close to the shrine he will cleanse the shrine. You probably should be nice and escort him back to the temple.
 Return to Gavas Drin
Return to Gavas Drin in his office. If the priest is still alive, you will be rewarded with the Blessed Spear, whether or not you escorted him back. Offer your "service to our lady" once again to be directed back to Fedris Hler. Urvel will stop following you, once you speak with Gavas to finish the quest.
- You can clear out the shrine before even taking Urvel through. Just be sure not to dispose of the corpses or they will regenerate. They will also regenerate after a few days so try not to rest too much.
- If Urvel dies after clearing the shrine, you receive 5,000 gold instead of the spear.
- It isn't actually necessary to escort Urvel back to the temple after he's cleansed the shrine. As long as he's still alive, the quest outcome will be the same.
- Sometimes, immediately after killing an enemy during the journey, Urvel may stop completely. This can be annoying if you continue to travel on, unaware that he has been left behind. To make him follow you again, simply talk to him.
- If you happen to lose Urvel while escorting, there are some cheats you can use to fix it. One way is to go near the area where you lost him (the same cell if you lost him inside), open the console, and enter the commands:
- to display your coordinates on screen and then
"urvel dulni"->Position, X, Y, Z, 1
- where X/Y/Z are your coordinates displayed on screen. This will work outside, for inside:
"urvel dulni"->PositionCell, X, Y, Z, 1, "CellName"
- where CellName is the name of the cell displayed on your local map. If none of that works, try:
PlaceAtPC, "urvel dulni", 1, 1, 1
- which will add another Urvel to the game, which might work or not, depending on how the quest works.
- If Gavis doesn't recognize that you've cleared the shrine you can finish the quest with the following console commands:
Journal TR_ShrineDead 100
Player->AddItem "ebony spear_blessed_unique" 1
"urvel dulni"-> AiWander 0 0 0 0 0 0
- Sometimes, once he gets to the shrine, Urvel will seem to just pace back and forth in front of the stairs that lead up to the shrine. To fix this, just walk into him one way or the other.
 Quest Stages
These Codes can be used along with the
Journal Console Command and Quest ID given within the chart to update the quest to a certain point.
|Prev: Goblin Army||Up: Main Quest Page||Next: Barilzar's Mazed Band|