Skyrim:Totems of Hircine
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Travel to the indicated location on your map.
- Retrieve the Totem by any means necessary.
- Return to the Underforge, then use one of the totem receptacles to complete the quest and receive your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Accepting the Quest
Asking Aela the Huntress about the topic "Is there any work to be done?" will lead to her telling you about the Totems of Hircine. She will say that she has located one of them and would be honored if you go with her to get it. If you accept the quest she will become your Shield-Sister and will replace your current companion.
 Retrieve the Totem of Hircine
Journey to the location given by Aela and kill the enemies lurking around. The location is radiant, and it can be any animal den, vampire lair, or warlock lair with a boss chest. The totem is most often found in a container in the furthest room from the entrance. Once you have the totem, Aela will approach and ask if you have it. When you tell her you do, she will tell you to bring it back to The Underforge. Once you're in the Underforge, place it on the marked area and the quest will finish. You can now pray to the totem to receive a new power while in Beast Form, which replaces your old one.
In addition to this totem, there are two other totems which grant you new abilities in Beast Form.
 The Totems of Hircine
The totems are described in detail in the tome The Totems of Hircine. By praying to these totems you will be given a unique ability that can be activated by pressing the shout button while in beast form which replaces the older Howl of Terror.
- Totem of Fear: Causes Fear
- Totem of Brotherhood: Summons 2 Pack Members
- Totem of The Hunt: Grants Detect Life
- You can only trigger this quest if you are still a werewolf. If you have purified yourself, you are unable to do this quest.
- If Dawnguard is installed and Serana is your follower, Aela will only give Animal Extermination quests. Simply dismiss Serana at the end of the questline to receive Totems of Hircine quests.
- If Whiterun is under attack, you can not enter the Underforge until Whiterun is back to normal. It will tell you a key is needed to enter and that it can not be lockpicked.
- At the end of this quest, Aela will begin praying to the new totem in the Underforge. It is possible to ask her to follow you while she is praying; her dialogue will change, she will allow you access to her inventory, but will not stop praying or move away from the totem.
- Aela will not give these quests while she is already an active follower, even though she gives Animal Extermination quests in that state. If you want to quickly get all three totems, there are several ways to work around this:
- Remove her as a follower when she no longer offers an Animal Extermination quest, then find her at her home, and she should offer this one.
- If Aela is in Jorrvaskr, enter the building and accept the Animal Extermination quest; afterwards, load the autosave from when you entered Jorrvaskr and she should offer the totem quests. This will have to be done for each totem quest.
- If you have just dropped off a totem in the Underforge, Aela will be praying to it, and only offer an Animal Extermination quest (dialogue option, "I'm looking for work"). Leave the Underforge, and return to the Underforge, then talk to Aela again. Repeat until Aela (still in prayer) offers the next totem quest (dialogue, "Is there any work to be done").
- If you still cannot get her to give you the totems quest, completing one of each type of the extermination quests will prompt her to give it to you.
- Curing yourself of Lycanthropy before taking this quest causes the Underforge door to become unresponsive. You cannot end the quest or get rid of Aela as a result.
- If you've completed A Daedra's Best Friend, you may be taken to Haemar's Cavern and your system can lock up when entering Haemar's Shame. You won't be able to complete the quest and will have Aela as a follower, but with no dialogue options.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- This can be resolved by manually advancing the quest with the console command
setstage cr12 20.
- This also seems to happen if the totem is located in Morvunskar, and A Night To Remember has been completed. This can be worked around by carefully navigating around the point where the portal to the Misty Grove was placed earlier.
- While recovering a totem located in Ansilvund, it is possible that one of the swinging axe traps may knock Aela through a hole in the map, rendering the quest un-fulfillable. The only work-around for this is to load from a previous save.
- If Aela won't give you the first totem quest, check the status of this quest with the console command "sqs cr12". If both Stage 0 and Stage 1 are marked as completed (with a 1 behind the respective stage), use the console command "resetquest cr12". It is recommended to do this before handing in an Animal Extermination quest.
- If you do not complete all of the radiant quests of Aela the Huntress in the initial wave before advancing, you will be stuck infinitely doing Animal Extermination quests from her, unable to collect the Totems of Hircine.
- Firstly, use the console command
setstage CR12 1. Then, get an Animal Extermination quest from Aela. Now use the console command
setstage CR01 20or
setstage CR02 20(depending on which version of the quest you're assigned), and return to Aela to finish the quest. Ask for work from her again and use the command
setstage CR12 20to complete the quest, and go to the Underforge to place the totem, which completes this quest. Repeat these steps 2 more times for the remaining 2 totems.[verification needed — see ]
- Firstly, use the console command
 Quest Stages
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|