(Click on any item for details)
Enchanting description: Wearer is muffled and moves silently.
Muffle is an effect that reduces the noise your armor makes when you move. The "moves silently" description that appears on Muffle Items is not necessarily true.
Muffle provides a multiplier equal to (1 - Total_Muffle_Magnitude) to your total worn armor weight when calculating the noise made by armor, meaning at a magnitude of 1+ your armor makes no noise whatsoever. All muffle effects stack additively. Values over 1 have no additional benefit.
The following items use this effect. You can learn how to enchant custom items with Muffle if you find one of the following items and disenchant it:
- All varieties of Boots of Muffling
Artifacts and unique items that use the effect but cannot be disenchanted include:
- Ancient Shrouded Boots
- Cicero's Boots
- Ebony Mail
- Jester's Boots
- Nightingale Boots
- Predator's Grace
- Shrouded Boots
- Shrouded Shoes
The following spells use the Muffle group of effects. Following each spell is the specific variant of the effect that it uses:
- Muffle: Muffle (
- The magnitude of this spell is 1, meaning a 100% reduction in armor noise.
- 50% Muffle is also available via the Muffled Movement perk.
- 100% Muffle is also available via the Silence perk.
- The magnitude of the Muffle effect is significant. However, the magnitude of enchantments and spells is not displayed in-game. Most built-in enchanted items have a magnitude of 0.5, meaning they are only 50% effective.
- The actual effectiveness of the Muffle effect for magnitudes below 1.0 depends on armor weight, i.e. 50% of the noise of Daedric is still much higher than 100% of the noise of Elven.
- All custom-enchanted Muffle effects have a magnitude of 1.0, regardless of skill level or soul gem used, making them greatly superior to most built-in enchanted Muffle items.
- Muffle also seems to affect the sounds of your weapons (excluding bows) and not just your footsteps.
- The probability of finding a disenchantable item with the Muffle effect is extremely low. Because it is a "fixed" effect that does not scale with your level, the probability of finding one is further reduced as your character advances in level. This is due to the fact that items with "more valuable" enchantments are given increasingly dominant odds. As a result, if you haven't obtained a Muffle item by level 70, you will probably be unable to obtain one because the probability is so small that it is close to zero. Furthermore, there are no guaranteed locations for disenchantable items of Muffle in the original version of the game. It can only be found via merchants or random loot.
- You can use the Atronach Forge to obtain a random enchanted piece of daedric armor, which has an equal chance of being a pair of Daedric Boots of Muffling as any other daedric armor. Since it is random, make sure to save before activating the forge if you want to get that specific item. Your chances of getting the boots on any given attempt with this method are about 1%, regardless of your level.
- PC users may manually add such an item via the console.