Skyrim:Destroy the Dark Brotherhood!
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- While in the Abandoned Shack during the quest With Friends Like These..., kill Astrid instead of a hostage.
- Travel to any city and talk to a guard.
- Speak to Commander Maro in Dragon Bridge outside Solitude.
- Travel to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary and kill all Dark Brotherhood members inside.
- Return to Commander Maro and collect your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
After Astrid's death, travel to any city and speak to a guard. Inform them that you killed the Brotherhood's leader, and you will be directed to speak to Commander Maro in Dragon Bridge outside Solitude. He can be found in the Penitus Oculatus Outpost.
After speaking to Commander Maro, you will be given the passphrase ("Silence, my brother") to their hideout and directed to kill everyone inside. He says that you should "have the honor" of clearing out the place, meaning you'll be going in alone.
Travel to the Brotherhood Sanctuary and kill everyone inside. It should be relatively simple, as this quest will have them spread out between each room (As opposed to them being gathered and chatting when you first enter as an actual member.) Loot what you please - an Iron Battleaxe of Chills on Arnbjorn, many poisons lying around, four different soul gems, a Word of Power in the Marked for Death shout and the Dark Brotherhood armor if you choose to take them.
Return to Commander Maro in Dragon Bridge, and he will be overjoyed and reward you with 3,000 gold. He will also make sure that the Emperor himself hears of your accomplishments.
- Astrid has a rather lengthy animation when she jumps off the bookshelf. She is able to be attacked, but will not attack during it, making her quite an easy kill.
- If your pickpocket skill is high enough, you can rob Astrid of her gear before you kill her, making her extremely easy to kill.
- Naturally, beginning this quest forever bans the character from joining the Dark Brotherhood.
- Babette and Cicero won't be in the sanctuary during the attack.
- Destroying the Dark Brotherhood prevents access to a number of lucrative quests. It does yield a good amount of valuable loot, though most of it is also available if you join them.
- Both joining the Dark Brotherhood and destroying it will prevent further assassination attempts against you.
- All members of the Dark Brotherhood are rather difficult to fight, so attacking only one or two at a time is advised.
- In addition, it is not possible for followers to pass through the black door, meaning they cannot enter the sanctuary with you.
- The quest may not trigger upon Astrid's death.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 35, 255