Over 80 new NPCs have been added by the Dawnguard plug-in, including six followers, five trainers, and also three ferrymen who can be hired to take you between certain cities by boat. Many of the new NPCs are aligned with either the Dawnguard or the Volkihar vampire clan, but some do not have a "side". Certain NPCs can be found in their main location immediately after installing the plug-in, while others can only be encountered during certain quests.
 Key Players
There are a few NPCs who play a major role in the adventures you embark on during the plug-in's main questline. You will encounter them throughout the storyline regardless of your choices in gameplay.
- Isran — Leader of the Dawnguard vampire hunters. Wishes to wipe out the vampire menace in Skyrim.
- Lord Harkon — Leader of the Volkihar vampire clan. Plans to use Elder Scrolls in a ritual to blot out the sun.
- Serana — The daughter of Lord Harkon. She is sought by Harkon for use as a sacrifice in his ritual.
- Dexion Evicus — A moth priest who reads an Elder Scroll for whichever faction you ally yourself with.
- Valerica — The estranged wife of Harkon and mother of Serana. She is trying to protect her daughter and keep Harkon from succeeding in his plan.
- Knight-Paladin Gelebor — A Snow Elf who guards the wayshrine at the Chantry of Auriel. He will offer you Auriel's Bow in exchange for a favor.
- Arch-Curate Vyrthur — The brother of Knight-Paladin Gelebor. He is responsible for creating the prophecy Harkon wishes to fulfill.
 Static NPCs
This table lists all static NPCs added by the Dawnguard plug-in, sorted by their locations. The table does not include generic NPCs whose locations and actions are both radiant and dependent on quests (e.g., Visiting Advisor). For a category listing of all NPCs added by the Dawnguard plug-in sorted alphabetically, see this page. The "key players" listed above are also included in this table.
 Other NPCs
This is a list of NPCs not included in the above table, for reasons given below. Some of these have blank pages, as detailed information is not yet known.
- These NPCs only appear during radiant side quests:
- These NPCs are encountered as enemies if you are allied with the opposite faction: