Oblivion talk:Frostcrag Spire (place)
|Archive 1: May 2006 - Oct 2009|
 Dismissed Atronachs stay in the game forever - kill them instead
There is no "kill" command in Atronach's script, only "disable". The game not removes disabled alive actors, when the cell they are in resets. This results in saved-game bloat, at least. Better to kill them than dismiss. 126.96.36.199 02:12, 6 December 2009 (UTC)
 Frostcrag spire spell and weapeon imbue
How the heck are you supposed to get those candles? The Mage-something candles. It tells you that you have to have them. idk where to find em. any help its welcome. :)--Anul
- You obviously need to buy them from Aurelinwae, since she sells all the upgrades for FS. And they are called Magetallow Candles --MC• S'drassa •T2M 02:58, 23 December 2009 (UTC)
 Vault Containers - pls help...
I own a HUGE collection (allmost all normal weapons and armors and numerous unique and magic items). So i decided to store them in the Vault. Once i reached expert level at armorer skill i begun repairing them to 125%. When i put them back to the chests some of them were missing!!! At that time i noticed that sometimes chests do not contain all my artifacts. For example some times my 25 Varla Stone are right were i left them and some other times they have disappeared... Know what's going on here? Do i have to worry? How do i fix? Thanks for your help...TheCollector 22:07, 6 January 2010 (UTC)
Just how do i know how many items to put in a chest in order not to appear this display bug? Is there a limit or what?TheCollector 10:48, 7 January 2010 (UTC)
- There's no real limit since all the containers can hold an infinite number of items, but try to spare different items in various containers to stop this glitch from happening. The only thing that happens if you store many items in a single container is that after a while it can take a little to display the full inventory of a container. --MC• S'drassa •T2M 17:51, 7 January 2010 (UTC)
 Main door
- Moved from main page
- "there is also a bug that if you leave the tower before the large north door opens it will be permantly closed for the rest of the game unless you re-load."
- This just happened to me, confirmed. :/ 188.8.131.52 02:00, 21 May 2011 (UTC)
- I've heard of this problem before, so I've re-added it to the page. Legoless 12:05, 21 May 2011 (UTC)
- I just added a verification tag. No details given on how. I tried to recreate it many times. Perhaps it only happens on a specific platform. I even left the area and waited >72 game hours so that the cell reset. Also tried going in and out of the cell a dozen times to break the animation and running out as soon as I read the book; nothing. On return the animation played and door opened and all was accessible. Kivan 00:55, 1 November 2011 (UTC)
 safe storage?
hi i was just wondering wich containers are safe for storage?GUM!!! 16:37, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
- All should be--Arch-Mage Matt 16:28, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
all of them? are you sure about that cause i want to put some unique items and and don't wan't to lose themGUM!!! 16:40, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
- All in the vault and in your personal chambers, which is almost all of the containers in the spire.--Arch-Mage Matt 16:48, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
ok thanks!GUM!!! 17:02, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
 Super Cool
I find this very interesting- if you tell a generic follower to leave while next to the portals to the mages guilds- they will enter in the portals to go to their homes. For example--- the dark brotherhood murderer teleports to the Cheydinhall Mages Guild, the Adoring Fan teleports to the University, and knights such as Brellin would travel to the Skingrad mages guild. Is this important enough to go on the page?
- It's interesting, but not really "important". I don't mind it being mentioned somewhere, but I'm not sure if that should be this article or ob:Followers. --GKtalk2me 04:08, 14 April 2010 (UTC)
 Main Stone Door
I have no idea why but i have all the items and have completed the quest but the stone door which allows access to the rest of the tower wont open........ive reloaded it several times, and it works on other accounts i dont know why its not working here
- The door only triggers once you take the manual off the ice hand it seems. (I am not the original poster) 184.108.40.206 03:40, 5 July 2010 (UTC)
- What are you talking about? You enter the Spire and read the book (do not have to pick it up) which opens the door and tells you how to purchase the upgrades. How can you get any items or complete the quest without the door being open already? — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 30 March 2011
 Door names wrong. Load order?
In my game, the main area is named "BermuaHouseTest", and this appears on all doors and teleporters to the main area. The two teleporters behind the stone wall are named "TesterHouseBermuaMid". I expect there is a load order issue with COBL and the unofficial patches, or something similar. Anyone else experience this? 18.104.22.168 03:42, 5 July 2010 (UTC)
- Self-solved. Future ref: Unofficial patch for the spire started loading before the spire itself. 22.214.171.124 04:50, 5 July 2010 (UTC)
 Kvatch Portal
Hello, The statement about the kvatch portal is actually false. If you have Kvatch Aftermath installed the portal teleports you to the mages guild in Kvatch. Should this be added?
- Actually the statement is true. The Aftermath mod you listed above is 3rd party so no, it should not be added.--Corevette789 04:06, 18 July 2010 (UTC)
 Glowing rings in entry hall
Do the glowing rings in the entry hall do anything? Pez 00:46, 18 August 2010 (UTC)
- As I recall, their only purpose is to look pretty as the door opens. – Robin Hood↝talk 19:21, 18 August 2010 (UTC)
It says that you can rename the tower were can i do that. Can you rename the tower
- You cannot rename the tower, except possibly on the PC version via console commands or something. Being an Xbox player, I wouldn't know. But through normal, in-game means, the tower cannot be renamed. --Darkle ~ Talk 23:53, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah, I just assumed that this was to maintain in-game continuity with law and stuff. Apollo Quinn 19:16, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
 container for everywhere
I think that the atroach is a good container if you choice to live in caves ,ayleid ruins and forts.They seems dont respawn,and can easily bring to everywhere as they are follower and they can easily identifly because the frost and flame(*not storm) is shining(Vvardfell 03:26, 7 November 2010 (UTC))
- You mean when it's dead, right? Because they have persistant corpses? — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) on 30 March 2011
I found a group of bandits/outlaws in my Spire today. Will they steal items from the chests and containers, and how do I keep them from going inside?
 How to get back?
- I did the glitch and reinstalled it after I was done and for some reason I can't get back in I am floating in the nothingness OUTSIDE of the living area PLEASE HELP!
- Easy. Just move till you're underneath it. Repeatedly drawing/withdrawing your weapon will help.
 Place Summary Image
This article seems to have too large a white-space with the current image. I started to replace it with a square image, but it wasn't immediately apparent to me where the best place for this narrower image would be. So, I decided to ask for other opinions; does the white-space seem as obnoxious to others as it does to me? --GKtalk2me 03:00, 23 January 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah, I can see what you mean, but that is a strangely shaped space to fill, so any image would be distorted, or wouldn't take up enough space. An alternative to placing another image might be to instead try to put that specific image in another section, or format the tables differently to better utilize the open space. Just my 2 cents. --Pwnageincarnate 03:11, 23 January 2011 (UTC)Pwnageincarnate
Hello, I've purchased all the upgrades for Frostcrag Spire from that Altmer. But, I can't get the stone door open. :| Shianni 16:20, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Which stone door is that? The one in the foyer? Presumably you picked up the book, which to my knowledge is what activates the stone wall to move. Its not instant, it take a few seconds to kick in, as some ice pillars rise/sink. Give it time, it should open. - Emoboy64 16:23, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- The one at the start, and would re-planting the book on the Ice Atronach's (I'm presuming it's an Ice Atronach.) hand? Shianni 16:25, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Im confused. Re-placing the book shouldnt do anything, just wait it out and you should see the blue circles around the sides of the chamber rise and then sink again. After this, to wall/door opens. That sequence activates after interacting with the book. - Emoboy64 16:30, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- It was a question, not a statement. And when I tested it, no. It didn't work. :| Shianni 21:31, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Then I am stumped, sorry. - Emoboy64 22:13, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Are you playing on PC? The
tclcommand would let you pass right through it. RaidensTechSupp 01:36, 5 February 2011 (UTC)
- Are you playing on PC? The
 entering frostcrag again....
I have visited Frostcrag and checked it out. However if I return to it now, there are some bandits inside the main hall (Where the book rests on the hand sculpture). After killing them the wall entrance to the tower does not move anymore. So I can not enter it again. Does anyone know how to fix this? — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 05:42 on February 20, 2011
Hello! That's not a "hand sculpture"! It is the upthrust hand of a dead Ice Atronach whose body is forever frozen under the ice floor.(Using "Resurrect" doesn't work on it, by the way.) A bright enough light source will reveal the body to you. But anyway, to open the big door, you have to read the book and take it off of the hand too, by placing it in your inventory. That action activates either a spell, a sensor, or some plain mechanical process that opens the giant doors. Since they look like an ordinary wall when closed, I'd call them "secret doors". As for the trespassing Bandits, I don't know what to tell you, as the only ones I've ever had in the tower were invited ones. As for fixing it, should it be a glitch, if you are playing on a PC, there are Console Commands that might help you. Otherwise, I could only suggest a reload of a previously saved game, a do over, or try the book again just in case you didn't do it right the first time. I hope that was helpful! Leo Star Dragon 1 05:52, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
- I've never needed to pick up the book, you only need to read it for the quest to move forward and the door opens moments after you do so, you do not have to pick it up at all. Thereafter the stone door remains open. You should not find it closed, so obviously your game is broken and you have to fix it in the usual ways, load previous saved game, restart game or delete and reinstall plug-in etc — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) on 30 March 2011
- I was having the same issue and through test and trail by looking at the scripting of the room as well i have come to the conclusion that the door will not open if you walk in, take the book - then leave the tower to talk to wahtever that merchant is. Basically talking to the merchant before the door opens screws up your game forcing you to restart, — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 22:49 on 30 August 2011 (GMT)
Hello! Ahem! It has been awhile since I've been here and read this section. Re-reading it and correcting my omission errors brought back even older memories. Like, now that I think of, many years ago I used to leave the book in place, thinking of it has just as good a display stand as any other, and it was placed there for a reason. Meaning that I left it alone after reading it, and I was still able to continue onward as intended. So the other posters here are correct about leaving the book there! My bad! I apologize for the misinformation! It's just that, I've gotten so used to removing the book so that I can have my characters sit on the hand, that I take it for granted, and probably even presumed that everyone else would remove it too, even if they don't have the mod that gives you "Seating Cushions" that one can use to make a place to sit. Now on the Bandits note. The "Spell Tomes Conjurer" guy found my party in the tower, for the very first time! So maybe the Bandits followed you? Because of the bad habits of my of party members, I'd assumed that there couldn't be trespassers in the spire, if they can't even manage to come and go like they are supposed to, without help from me. If they didn't follow you there, maybe it's related to what happens after spending time in a jail cell, you get released and NPCs sometimes also show up right next to you, as if they were in your party. Or it could be a part of the problem, when NPCs find a shortcut travel method and exploit it, even if they aren't meant to do so. Leo Star Dragon 1 06:45, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
 Moved bug
- Sometimes after combat, the atronach will start killing another one of your followers (preferably Ushnar's Skinned Hound). The best way to stop this is to dismiss the atronach and go get a new one.
- Sometimes is quite vague, and why would it be preferable for it to kill the skinned hound? More importantly is this common behaivor for followers to accidentally attack each-other? --AKB Talk 23:16, 6 March 2011 (UTC)
 Refined Frost Salts and the Atronach Altar
The Official Plug-in page for the Spire says 'upgrade to summon an atronach familiar', obviously this is incorrect, the altar is usable immediately upon entering the Spire, so long as you have the salts.
Also if you're carrying Refined Frost Salts, the Tears of the Savior quest item, these can be used to summon a Frost Atronach without losing them. I noticed this when only two of my three regular Frost Salts were consumed upon using the altar. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) on 30 March 2011
- The page doesn't say that you have to upgrade before you can use the altar. Please point out the part where you think it says this. I just checked the script, and refined frost salts are not accepted by the altar. You must be mistaken. rpeh •T•C•E• 07:46, 30 March 2011 (UTC)
- Condescending much? I don't think it says that, it does say that, however I had clicked on the related link after reading that and come here. It's the official plug-in page as I mentioned http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Wizard%27s_Tower that says you need to upgrade to summon an atronach.
- I had three Frost Salts and a Refined Frost Salt, I summoned a Frost Atronach yesterday and again just a moment ago to confirm, lost only two regular Frost Salts from inventory (even though it tells me it has removed 3 Frost Salts). If you're sure the Refined Salts cannot be used instead then it's a bug.
- I did note that the two Frost Salts that were taken were both marked as stolen while the third that I was left with was not.
- An attempt to test with only two Frost Salts and a Refined Salt failed. But once again testing with three Frost Salts, only the two stolen Frost Salts were consumed while I am left with the third legit one. I cannot check the files on Xbox so I have to assume it's merely a bug with the script taking a stack of stolen ones and neglecting the third it should take. Barely worth mentioning I guess. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) on 30 March
- Yes, it's to do with the stolen frost salts being grouped separately from the legit ones. The refined frost salts play no part in it. Legoless 16:18, 30 March 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah figured, glad that's cleared up. Anyway, if someone cares enough to edit that official plug-in page or perhaps the bug list on this articles page, this section is not needed and can be removed. I'm not entirely confident in my wiki code editing so I'm not going to bother.
I tested this and it works, (360). With one stolen and two non-stolen flame salts I summoned a Flame Atronach and only the stolen one was removed from my inventory. I am putting a note up since this is an exploitable glitch, I understand that duping renders this glitch useless. That doesn't change the fact that it should be documented. Datacaust 17:13, 10 April 2011 (UTC)
- There's no need to. It's a common bug, and isn't specific to the altar (for example, see the Vampire Cure quest where you have to gather soul gems). Legoless 17:23, 10 April 2011 (UTC)
- Can you post a link to where this bug is documented? Datacaust 17:45, 10 April 2011 (UTC)
- How many other occcurences are you aware of? Hey! what about Nirnroots with sinderion? Datacaust 17:54, 10 April 2011 (UTC)
- Not during usual gameplay, as you can't 'steal' a Nirnroot. But in theory I guess it could work. I haven't actually tested the glitch, I only speak from memory. Legoless 17:56, 10 April 2011 (UTC)
Yeah I can flag just about anything as stolen though.. I'm testing this. If it's possible you'll be able to complete seeking your roots with 44 Nirnroot instead of 100. Datacaust 18:14, 10 April 2011 (UTC)
- I don't believe you can ever "steal" a Nirnroot - the ones indoors give you the red hand icon but don't count as stolen, and since Nirnroot has zero value you can't sell it to someone then steal it back. rpeh •T•C•E• 18:32, 10 April 2011 (UTC)
Datacaust has stolen Nirnroot. Datacaust 02:00, 11 April 2011 (UTC)
- It doesn't work with Sinderion he takes all ten tried 1/9 and 5/5 stolen/clean ratio. Oddly with 5/7 he took 4\6. Trying it with the collector quest. Datacaust 04:55, 11 April 2011 (UTC)
 Oblivion freezes when I get to Jerall Mountains!!!!
I don't know the reason...but anytime I fast travel to the Jerall Mountains, my loading bar stays the same place and the only thing working is the music....When I try to fast travel to Frostcrag Spire it does the same...I can't get near that place cuz it freezes the whole game...I got sick of it once and used Noclip to get there the hard way...and when the screen showed "Loading Area" it freezed...I tried the same with the normal travel and it freezes...
So I really need help with this problem....
- Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the addon? That may fix it.
 Fast-travel bonus glitch
I'm playing Oblivion on X-Box 360 and have the Frostcrag Spire add-on installed from an old X-Box magazine supplementary disc. Fast-travel times from Frostcrag can vary, depending on which door you exit from to step outside. For example, when I fast-travel to the Imperial City dockside area from the spire's main entrance, travel-time is consistently slightly less than 5 hours for my current character. However, fast-travelling to the same destination from the Bedroom area balcony, (the one with the Mage's Guild portals), the travel time is always in the area of 5 to 20 minutes. In fact, it seems like fast-travel from the Bedroom balcony to any map location only takes a few minutes, which is handy for anyone trying to beat a deadline, like trying to hit the shops with a bucket-load of merchandise before closing time. (I haven't tried fast-travelling from the upper tower/clockwork mobile area yet, can't say if travel times from there are affected.) Don't know if this is a unique glitch to my particular game, or if anyone else has observed this. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 03:22 on 20 June 2011
- I can verify that this does happen and is a known side effect of having "doors" leading all across the map. I'm not sure if it's documented on the wiki, but it's nothing unique to the magazine version. --Legoless 02:36, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
 Moved Bug
- The altars of enchanting and spellmaking seems to have been miplaced at first, and those two altars can therefore be found, with clipping off (PC only), dirrectly left of the three altars inside the main hall.
I can't understand what this means, and it doesn't sound very noteworthy anyway - especially if it can only be seen using console commands. --Legoless 20:07, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
- Agreed. It seems likely that they are placed outside the playable area, and simply moved when the upgrades are bought, if I understand the description. --DKong27 Talk Cont 00:31, 26 June 2011 (UTC)
Hello! Man, what timing! I've just seen this for the very first time, mere moments ago! Yes, there are indeed duplicates of the alters, with candles in place, where the poster said they are. I didn't try to use them though, so I don't know if they are fully functional. To see them use "TCL" to phase through the wall.So I thought I'd let the poster know that he's not the only one to see them, what with the serendipity in play here. Leo Star Dragon 1 06:50, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
 I can't get my atronach to go through the portal to the Shivering Isles with me.
Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else run into this problem?
- I doubt you're supposed to be able to do that to begin with. NPCs and creatures aren't supposed to travel with you between Cyrodiil and the Shivering Isles, unless a glitch were to occur. 188.8.131.52 02:14, 27 January 2012 (UTC)
 Atronach glich thing
I made a frost atronach, left him at the door, and when I came back, he was gone! Anyone know what happened? --184.108.40.206 23:48, 4 June 2012 (UTC)
- (XBOX 360) - I made a Flame Atronach and told it to wait just outside the doors to Castle Leyawiin. But when I returned three days later, it wasn't there. Because I didn't dismiss it, I can't make another one. Does anyone know where I can find it or how to fix this (other than re-loading an earlier save)? Thanks. The Sly Dog 19:44, 15 July 2012 (UTC)
 Dragon Statue Glitch
Hello, I've noticed that when I go a certain distance away from Frostcrag (I.E the bridge) the Dragon Statue from the Talos Plaza district shows up next to it, when I get closer it disappears, Whats causing this?
 Magetallow Candles
I bought all the upgrades, but only had enough to buy 1 candle box. When I went back to buy the other one she doesn't have it. What gives?