Oblivion talk:Dagon Shrine
|Archive 1: Apr 2006 - Dec 2009|
 Stuck in the Antechamber
I told Harrow I wasn't going to hand over my possessions, and he became hostile. I decided to run away and then come back the next day. When I got back the first zone was empty so I went into the Antechamber. There were some guards to kill, and then I got stuck. The door back to the caverns was locked (needs a key) and the door to the shrine was locked (average lock but I had no lockpicks). Harrow has the key to this door, but he's not about. I can't figure how to get out of the Antechamber. Is the quest broken and I need to load an earlier save? There doesn't seem to be any way to proceed. Maybe a note could be added to the article about this situation? Vlad the Imperial 16:27, 4 December 2010 (UTC)
- same problem. i am on PS188.8.131.52.119 19:48, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
- kind of the same issue with me... Except i can't load a previous save because I'm running on nothing but autosaves. Perfect, seems I have to restart.
 Returning to Lake Arrius Caverns
Now I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I decided to go back the caverns. Once here, I continued through passed the area the doorman would be. Then I was greeted by multiple Mythic Dawn Guards. They tried to kill me, but I succeeded over them with ease. Then I found mythic Dawn Acolytes. As I drew my weapon, I realized they were not agressive. After trying to raise their dispositions, they would simply dissapear! Continuing past guards and acolytes, I found Dagon's shrine. Here, I found Jeelius, alive! He was laying down, ready to be killed. I activated him, and it acted as if I was doing the quest. I chose to free him, and he began to run back through the caves. The strangest thing is, he was wearing a gray robe! Not just in his underwear, a black robe! Could anyone please tell me what is going on? Keep in mind I've completed the main quest. Something I also forgot to mention was during the main quest, I killed Jeelius, and the grey robes are actually what he wears once he freed. Argonianassasin 03:10, 6 January 2010 (UTC)
- What version are you using? It didn't work for me... Mikeyboy52 06:17, 10 June 2010 (UTC)
 Can't get back to Martin
I went through the caves, fought the mythic dawn guys, got the Mysterium Xerxes book,and found the exit. For some reason, however, when I leave the cave, my health starts to disappear at a very fast rate. Even with using my basic cure spell and replenishing my magic, I can't seem to go very far. I can't do the fast travel thing because my health is diminishing, it says. I also tried riding my horse to go faster, but I can't cast spells while on the horse.
I'm at level 6, and I'm playing the PS3 version.
Please help! I really don't want to restart the entire game. If someone could explain why this is happening and why I can't fix it, that would be very much appreciated. — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 07:38 on 8 February 2010
- Most likely reason is Vampirism if you have it, if so all you need to do is wait untill night time to leave. If not I see no real reason why you should be losing health so I would recommend re-loading an earlier save or start again if you don't have one.
- There could be several contributing factors to this. First of all, are you wearing any enchanted gear at all? Have you consumed any potions which may still have active effects? Like the person above me asked, are you a Vampire? Try checking you active spell effects and searching the entire list to see what (if any) magical effect is sapping your health. And also, does this only start happening directly after you leave the cave, or was health being sapped inside the cave too? Your best bet might just be to reload a previous save, but you can try exploring the options I just mentioned beforehand. Facebag 05:44, 10 June 2010 (UTC)
 Notes Section
I've been trying to trim down the notes section of the articles, and sticking the notes into the walkthrough proper when possible, but this quest has so many possible paths that there isn't really anywhere else to put the notes. I vote that we keep the notes section "as is." Anyone second the motion?Um the Muse 23:01, 22 August 2010 (UTC)
- Seems fair enough, although the one about needing the key could probably go. rpeh •T•C•E• 10:45, 23 August 2010 (UTC)
 Removed from article
On some occasions, Mankar will become trapped in Tamriel as a killable character (and interactable to) if he was not able to escape because the player interfered. Mankar will later appear in Cloud Ruler Temple's Great Hall around the time the Bruma Great Gate is supposedly supposed to occur (this will not occur because Martin appears to become lost(?)). Once killed, the game seems to believe you have completed the entire Paradise quest up until the last stage and will create the exit portal from Paradise and reset your position into it. Martin may become elusive to find at this point, and you may have to fast travel away and back to Cloud Ruler Temple before he reappears in the Great Hall again. Everything past this point appears to occur normally.
This is similar to the bug already documented, but instead Mankar becomes killable, having his ghost status removed. Is it possible that if the player interfered at a certain time, that Mankar can be killed before heading into paradise? Glitch needs some confirmation. -- Jplatinum16 18:26, 24 August 2010 (UTC)
 Bugs/Mankar not escaping
It says Mankar can become stuck in Tamriel as a unkillable character halting the quest line further along, however I accidentally performed this bug without realising (thinking mankar would reset anyway) and I later found him in the Cloud Ruler Temple hall as killable. I had returned there because the Bruma Great Gate quest seemed to have halted itself and Martin could not be found anywhere. I was thoroughly confused so I killed Mankar and picked up his various items (including the Amulet of Kings). Once I had the amulet of kings, the game updated my quest log to contain Paradise on the last stage. Wondering what I should do next, I checked back at the great gate location to see if Martin had arrived yet then fast travelled back to find Martin and various essential characters had appeared at the same spot next to the fire place. Then the game reset me infront of the fireplace and the paradise exit portal appeared as if I had just exited Paradise, then Martin spoke to me and the main quest continued as normal.
Anyone else experience this? --220.127.116.11 18:30, 24 August 2010 (UTC)
it happened to me too! i knocked him down in the lake Arrius cave, and he reappeared in cloud ruler temple, and Martin was here too, reading his books, so i killed Mancar, got the amulet, and gave it to Martin, without going into the gates of oblivion, or the paradise.
 Alive Again
- (moved from the article)
If you lurk around for a day or two without leaving the place, the Argonian to be sacrified will be alive again and you will be offered the option to free him, though this has no effect on the quest.
- I have no idea what this means. Jeelius doesn't respawn, so I don't understand this at all. rpeh •T•C•E• 20:22, 17 October 2010 (UTC)
- This happened to me, when I went back into the Dagon Shrine long after I finished the Main Quest. I think this seriously deserves a mention of either Jeelius' article, or here. Bauglir100 03:38, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
I want to know what time they eat . I want to use poisoned apple .To kill every one and then take the book .(Vvardfell 09:54, 18 October 2010 (UTC))
- Some of them don't eat at all, and those that do, unlike most NPCs, eat at random times. – Robin Hood↝talk 07:25, 19 October 2010 (UTC)
 i killed the doorman
i didnt no that u didnt have to kill the doorman and well i did kill the guy now my cover is blowen and they acctack me straight away, i cant relod a new save the last save is after i killed the guy, please tell me the easist way to do the quest — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 06:43 on 29 October 2010
- All the ways of completing the quest are already documented on the page. If you're looking for opinions from other users, try the – Robin Hood↝talk 15:56, 29 October 2010 (UTC) .
 oblivion crisis/ sleepers awake
It may be interesting to note that escaping the caverns with the mysterium (quest stage 70) will cause the mythic dawn sleepers to become hostile, but it will not cause the escalation of the oblivion crisis. I guess thats not till you deliver the book at stage 100. I know because Ive neglected to get the book to Cloud Ruler a few in-game weeks now, Ive closed 13 gates and none of the fixed gates have appeared yet. Ive been attacked out of the blue by cultists though.
--Merari 03:05, 14 November 2010 (UTC)
im not sure if this is the appropriate article to put this on but, is it possible to duplicate a non quest version on the Mysterium Xarxes by getting someone to attack you with the skull of corruption and killing your clone?
- You can duplicate it, however it will still be marked as a quest item. The skull of corrupption duplication has unpredictable effects sometimes. It may interfere with scripts to do with Martin. --Manic 21:51, 3 July 2011 (UTC)
 Saving Jeelius using a custom spell
I had access to spell-making alters so I created a custom spell: 100 points of shield on touch plus 100 points of fortify endurance on touch plus 100 points of fortify health on touch. When cast on Jeelius it worked 10 of ten tries to save him. Hence the article edit.
Russell 23:20, 19 December 2010 (UTC)
Just have good armor, stand on top of him and blast the statue with a knock back effect spell. Might take a few tries.
 Jeelius addition
I spent quite some time working on Jeelius's survival, hence the addition.
 Permanent effects glitch
On 4 of 10 attempts, when Harrow took my equipment, it triggered the permanent effects bug with the Ring of Khajiiti, leaving my character with permanent 35% chameleon. Why it didn't happen every time, unknown. Why it didn't happen with other effects, unknown. Maddeningly random or some obscure code?
 Moved notes
- Mythic Dawn agents fail to recognize you as a potential enemy or spy even when wearing Blades armor.
- If your fame and personality are high enough and you return to Lake Arrius Caverns after three days (to give the inhabitants time to respawn), the Mythic Dawn agents inside will no longer be hostile towards you. You can talk to them and raise their disposition, but they will have no available dialogue options.
The first one, while hilarious should only be noted if there was a way they could detect you with the armor. The second one seems to be more of a glitch, not really sure if it should be re-added or not. --AKB Talk 05:11, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
 Moved from Page
This was added by an anon:
- For some strange reason, any item marked stolen in your inventory when your items are taken away have their stolen status removed when you regain your inventory.
- The crime page implies it, since it says you can reclaim them before you leave and they are not considered stolen. Therefore, it is normal, not strange. --Brf 19:03, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
 Dagon Shrine Bug
I play Oblivion on a PS3 and I was happy to say I hadn't found any problems with game bugs, until now, and it had to happen during the main quest... The problem is, regardless of which option I choose (join cult or kill everyone) and whether or not I kill the argonian, everytime I grab the book there's a glitch. One glitch that Always happens and makes it impossible for me to interact with certain doors, levers etc and thus exit the shrine is that, hmmm..., I'll put it this way, all flames stop moving, any spell used by me or by enemies freezes, and the light effect remains in the area around me and around dead bodies, and over time it makes it nearly impossible for me to see where I'm going, only the spells's 'light' effects freeze, the spells themselfs work. More importantly, once I reach the rock that needs to be opened with a turning lever on the wall, I can't activate it, nor can I activate the lever that opens the gate closest to the entrance of the shrine. The game 'sounds' like it's running normally, all NPCs and my character act normally, except with regards to spell casting, as I said before, the spells work, but their light effects linger and look like permanent marks in the air. I keep trying to start over from a previous save (outside the actual Lake cave), but every single time, this bug occurs, after I grab the book, and it affects the whole Dagon Shrine area thus making it impossible for me to advance in the main quest. A few facts on my character, just in case. Imperial, male, Lv 42, Bard, 100 sneak skill, 100 blade skill, 83 marksman skill. One thing I can't forget to mention is that I normally play this on Very Easy mode, meaning the difficulty bar is only 1/4 away from Super Easy, it makes getting rid of all enemies much much quicker, I have tried it with a normal difficulty aswell but it makes no difference. Lastly, the area outside the Dagon Shrine cave seems normal, I killed a bear and saw no change outside or inside, really, it's that damned book that's ruinning everything for me. Is there any hope to solve this? Thanks in advance for any advice. Keiyan 00:50, 18 March 2011 (UTC)Keiyan
- Sounds like the Abomb glitch. How many hours do you have clocked on that character? After 200 the game gets a bit glitchy, especially if you have an unpatched version of the Shivering Isles. Legoless 00:56, 18 March 2011 (UTC)
I really need help i can make it to where you run through the mythic dawn qurters when you steal the book but there is a gate that is looked right before the first room that is not in the caverns what do i do i cant figure out how to get out and i have harrows key i stashed my stuff out of the hide out and i have no saves out of the mythic dawn hide out this is on da xbox360 lvl 5 — Unsigned comment by Tyufvfv (talk • contribs) at 13:56 on 27 March 2011 (UTC)
- There's a switch on the wall. Just look around the room a bit. Legoless 14:00, 27 March 2011 (UTC)
 Moved note.
- Possibly the easiest and least dangerous way to get your gear back is to take a trip up the ramp and to the highest level of the chamber. Harrow should follow you. Once you've reached the top, walk into Harrow (essentially pushing him) until he falls off the edge. Harrow will run back up to you and you need only repeat until he's dead. Harrow may heal himself a few times which means you just have to push him over the edge a few more times. Once Harrow is dead he can be freely looted allowing you to get your items back without opposition. Do not take healing potions with you to lake Arrius if you choose this option, as Harrow will use them.
Is it worth putting on the `page ? JackTurbo95 13:24, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
- I'd say "no". It seems unnecessarily complex to me when there are several simpler strategies already listed. rpeh •T•C•E• 13:59, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
- Do you think the page could be shortned in any way ? JackTurbo95 14:16, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
- It is turning into the Umbra quest! But it does need sorting out. I can help in any way if you need it mate. JackTurbo95 14:30, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
- Okay. I'll get on to it asap. JackTurbo95 14:52, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
- Well it can be dramaticly shorterned by just putting the blew your cover part , and when you go along with it. None of this stuff about sneaking into this and that. JackTurbo95 11:13, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- I think that's worth keeping just so people realise it's an option. I think a lot of the tips in "Fighting the Cultists" are either utterly obvious ("Don't forget to take out Ruma Camoran and loot her staff."!!!!) or standard combat tips ("Invisibility spells work well, because cult members will not attack you when you're invisible.") There are undoubtedly other bits that can be trimmed. rpeh •T•C•E• 13:01, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- Don't forget to take out Ruma Camoran and loot her staff.
- Invisibility spells work well, because cult members will not attack you when you're invisible.
- Frenzy spells cast on the cultists can make it possible to make it through the living quarters without being attacked. "Also, you can cast repetitive area-effect frenzy and rally spells on the cultists during Mankar's speech. They will all fight each other, including Mankar. Since he is essential, he will be the last standing, and will eventually retreat to his paradise, leaving you and the Argonian alone." Beware that frenzied enemies will attack the Argonian too. "Even if you cast invisibility on him, a single area spell gone astray will suffice to kill him. In addition to invisibility, you need to cast Reflect Spell on him (or at least Shock Shield) if he is to survive".
First 2 suggested by rpeh and I agreed, fairly useless. I removed the part about frenzying the people during his speech (whats in quotations), since it is also listed that attacking him can lead to a game breaking glitch. No matter what the convenience I dont feel that it should be listed if there is a chance it can cause the entire questline to be broken.--Catmaniac66 13:18, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
Once more, removed:
- Once you have the knife for the ceremony, you can wander around unbothered until you find Harrow among the worshippers. Simply use the dagger to kill him, then search the body [for your items], "and select all to get all your items back. For many characters, this means of getting the book and killing the cultists and escaping is relatively easy."
- Hand-to-Hand or magic specialists should have an easier time of it, since they aren't as limited by being forced to fight unarmed.
Removed quotations, replaced with the brackets.--Catmaniac66 13:36, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- Perfect =D JackTurbo95 16:12, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- * If you gave up your equipment, you will always want to start by killing Harrow in order to recover your equipment.
- Before you pick up the book or free the sacrifice, Harrow is the only one to follow you around. So walk off to a remote spot (for example, near the escape door) to kill Harrow (or push him off the upper level to keep your cover) without having to fight everyone else at the same time.
- Frenzy spells cast on the cultists can make it possible to make it through the living quarters without being attacked. Beware that frenzied enemies will attack the Argonian too.
- Summon a minion before the cultists turn hostile. Strike the summoned creature three times with your fists. When the minion turns hostile maneuver your character so that you have members of the Mythic Dawn between you and your summoned creature. The cultists will then start combat with your summoned creature. You can repeat this process until the majority of the initiates are dead.
I have taken these off because I just don't think they are useful. Feel free to put them on , but put here why. JackTurbo95 16:19, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
 Paradise Gate / Portal
When Mankar opens a gate to his paradise after his speech the gate says "Needs Key".. Is there any way to go through the gate and then to Paradise prematurely ? I'm on an xbox and had an edited savegame which has a "Open Door that needs key" spell which didn't work... Is there a way to activate gate on either the consoles or PC (using commands)?
- On xbox and ps3 there is no way to open the locked door as the key is nowhere to be found in the game and open spells will not work. Using the console commands for PC you can probably unlock the door, but i doubt it will enable you to activate it or enter it. --Manic 21:49, 3 July 2011 (UTC)
- yeah I thought so.. would be cool if someone on a PC tried and let us know what happens!
- I was able to unlock "Paradise Portal" (0001f873) but nothing happened when I pressed the action to enter. I have UOP installed, not sure if that makes a difference. GRPeng 06:59, 7 July 2011 (UTC)
- yeah I thought so.. would be cool if someone on a PC tried and let us know what happens!
 Running past Harrow glitch.
I don't know if this is always possible, but what I did was after talking to the first cultist in the cave, O just skipped talking to Harrow at all. I didn't have to give him my items, the cultists were still friendly to me, an the next part of the quest started anyway. You might want to try doing this is you're having trouble. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 16:02 on July 30, 2011
 Kill harrow
Not sure if it's a glitch but if you let harrow follow you up on a high place and push him down he will go right back up, I killed him that way infront of the other members but noone reacted.. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 21:13 on July 30, 2011
- This is normal for any actor. If they are not hostile to you, they will not react to you pushing them. --DKong27 Tk Ctr Em 03:18, 31 July 2011 (UTC)
I had done everything up to letting Jeelius go, and I know he survived, but when I was outside he was not there. I searched the whole place, but I couldn't find him. Did he already run from the Caverns to the Imperial City, or did he get glitched inside?
 Fair chance?
It looks like the game gives you a fair chance. Once I figured out that I could pickpocket Harrow, my 3rd level character with practically no sneak could pinch 3 quality items, including Chillrend, while my brother's 25th level character, an experienced thief, could not pinch anything. I guess this happened because he had Umbra. In both cases this turned into a slaughter. Poor accolytes did not even defend themseves.
 Turn Handle
- That's probably the handle that opens the 'Rock Wall' secret door, as mentioned in the article. --Gaebrial 15:49, 23 March 2012 (UTC)
kay so i stole the book made it through the living quaters and then i get to the door that i first came through with harrow, and its locked! says it needs a key and i dont have one. what do i do?— Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 21:46 on 18 March 2012
- You don't exit through the same door that you entered by. There's a hidden door activated by a handle in the same room, as noted in the article. --Gaebrial 15:37, 23 March 2012 (UTC)
 Sacrificing Jeelius
I've noticed that sacrificing Jeelius counts as an assault in your stats, and not a murder. Should this be put as a note on this page, or on Jeelius' page? 184.108.40.206 04:12, 16 June 2012 (UTC)
 Ruma's staff
At low level, level 3 for instance, it kills them instantly. So you may opt for killing her first. At higher levels it is too weak and you have to look for other solutions. You have to do it just once, you know. But the quest is fun. --220.127.116.11 18:18, 20 September 2012 (GMT)
 Cannot find Harrow
I gave all my items to Harrow so I could sneak into the shrine inconspicuously. I thought I would get my items back somehow at the end of the quest. Apparently not. I went to Cloud Ruler Temple to give Martin the book & finish the quest etc. and then I realised I might not get my items back. So I went back to Lake Arrius Caverns to locate Harrow and kill him for my possessions. In the process, I was hounded by, what felt like, 400,000 Mythic Dawn Guards. I thought that there was such a point in the game in which it becomes so difficult and annoying that it is no longer fun. With this, I killed all of them using the console. However, I am positive that I did not kill Harrow while doing this. Now I cannot find him in the Caverns, Antechamber, Living Quarters or the Shrine. He is absolutely nowhere to be found, whether alive or dead. I have checked the bodies of those I did kill, none are Harrow. I have also checked the storage room where some people say your possessions are locked in chests.