Quick Walkthrough
- Read Lucien's letter to you.
- Meet him in Fort Farragut.
- Eliminate everyone in the Sanctuary.
- Return to Lucien for your reward and your new way to receive contracts.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Of Secret And Shadow
The "Of Secret And Shadow" mini-quest directs you to talk to Ocheeva. She tells you that you have received a letter from Lucien. Apparently the Black Hand itself has a task for you. For more details, you need to travel to Lucien's current residence in Fort Farragut, just northeast of Cheydinhal. The letter also warns you that you must not speak to anyone in the Sanctuary about the letter and you should be careful about the residents of the fort.
 Fort Farragut
The tower is full of undead and traps and may prove somewhat difficult if you aren't prepared. However, you can bypass everything and enter through the secret door. This door is located just outside Fort Farragut, inside a hollowed out tree immediately northwest of the fort's tower. When you find Lucien, he tells you about the assassin among the assassins that you may have already heard about. He tells you that you are not a suspect because you are a new member, but the assassin is definitely in the Cheydinhal Sanctuary. Lucien informs you that you must perform a Purification upon the Sanctuary. This means that you must kill every member of the Dark Brotherhood in Cheydinhal that Lucien names (Schemer and the Dark Guardian are above suspicion for their own reasons). As you have become a Silencer, you are permanently exempt from following the Five Tenets.
You should have no problem killing the Sanctuary members. Lucien gives you some items which may help you in your mission, and you don't have to fight all the members at the same time. If you are seen killing any of the sanctuary residents, the people who see you (including the Dark Guardian) will lose 70 disposition points. This may be enough to cause them to attack you.
The only people who may give you trouble are Gogron gro-Bolmog, Teinaava, and Vicente. Teinaava and Vicente have good swords and Gogron wears heavy armor and carries an enchanted battle axe. Use poisoned apples on Gogron and Teinaava and garlic on Vicente (there is a note in his desk revealing his weakness to garlic). Garlic can be easily found in Antoinetta Marie's Chest in the Living Quarters.
Getting rid of Telaendril may be tricky, as she is absent from the city on Loredas and Sundas. One way to determine her whereabouts is looting Ocheeva's corpse and acquiring Telaendril's note. You can also follow her quest marker on your map. If you don't want to follow her around, you can wait until Middas, when she returns to the Cheydinhal Sanctuary. Alternatively, you can find her near the Mages Guild on Turdas. You can choose an appropriate dialogue option to infuriate her and prompt her to attack you. If you run to any nearby guards, they will take care of her for you, saving you the trouble of fighting and an unnecessary bounty. If you happen to have any frenzy spell/scroll, you can cast it upon her, making her attack guards or other creatures, getting herself killed. It is also possible for Telaendril to get killed by bandits while travelling. You can also reverse-pickpocket a poisoned apple into her inventory, which allows you to kill her in public without incurring a bounty (assuming you were not seen pickpocketing her).
 Introduction to Dead Drops
Once you have killed everyone, return to Lucien. He tells you that you will no longer be receiving your contracts face-to-face but instead from letters in "dead drops." Each dead drop location will be revealed to you once you have completed your previous contract. The dead drop will hold your reward and the next contract. Lucien tells you the location of your first dead drop and gives you his horse, Shadowmere. Shadowmere is a very fast and strong horse, and is the only "quest essential" horse, meaning that she cannot die. She is extremely helpful for getting to the various dead drops and locations of the upcoming contracts.
- There are many ways to deal with Vicente Valtieri: in a note found in his desk he reveals he is vulnerable to garlic; reverse-pickpocketing a sample onto him will render him weaker than usual. Also, since he's a vampire, you might want to use Fire Damage against him.
- Frenzy can come in handy, and watching your targets killing themselves can be hilarious.
- Get 100% Reflect Spell, and stand in front of M'raaj-Dar when he is training. He will eventually kill himself.
- If one of the targets are lured outside, the city guards will defend you.
- It is easier to kill the members of the brotherhood with ranged attacks; the majority of the guild use short range weapons like daggers, except M'raaj-Dar and Valtieri.
- The cheapest, easiest way to kill Valtieri is immediately after conversation while he goes to sleep. You can wake him up anytime while he is already sleeping. After any conversation he will immediately want to go back to sleep. If you start hacking away at him while he lays back down, the animation starts to take damage while Vicente is defenseless.
 Quests and Loot
- If you were planning to get the "Dark Gift" from Vicente's non-contract quest Darkness Eternal or to do Teinaava's Renegade Shadowscale quest, this is your last chance to do so.
- Opening the gate to Lucien's room causes all the Guardians to die. You can either enter through the trapdoor or sprint through the fort to the gate to avoid fighting.
- Don't forget to loot the chests in the Living Quarters. You can find keys to the chests on the bodies of your victims.
- The unique items sold by M'raaj-Dar are not available after you kill him (they are in an inaccessible merchant chest, and cannot be looted off his corpse). After finishing the last Dark Brotherhood quest, Honor Thy Mother, one of the Dark Brotherhood Murderers will provide access to M'raaj-Dar's spells, but not to the equipment. It is therefore advisable to purchase them from him before killing him.
- The barrel in Lucien's room - which is locked with a Very Hard lock - contains ten poisoned apples that will respawn. See Poisoned Apple for details on how to use these apples for assassinations. Even if you do not intend to use them, the apples are worth a good sum of money and will sell for a decent amount of gold.
- An achievement will be unlocked upon reporting back to Lucien.
- On console, it's possible a player may not receive Shadowmere upon completing the quest.
 Journal Entries
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- On the PC, it is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage Dark10Sanctuary stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.
|Prev: Permanent Retirement||Up: Dark Brotherhood||Next: Affairs of a Wizard|