Quick Walkthrough
- Martin informs you that Jauffre wishes to speak to you.
- Learn from Jauffre that he wants you to help the Bruma guard learn how to close an Oblivion Gate.
- Find Captain Burd outside the gates of Bruma and lead the charge into the gate.
- Make your way to the top of the Sigil Keep and find the Sigil Key.
- Enter the Sigillum Sanguis and disable the portal.
- Speak to Captain Burd again who will inform you that he no longer requires your assistance.
- Return with the news of your success to Jauffre.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 The Gates of Bruma
Jauffre wants you to accompany the Bruma guard as they learn how to close an Oblivion Gate, as one has conveniently opened just outside. Find Captain Burd outside the gates of Bruma and repel the first wave of attackers. You are then to lead the charge into the gate in order to close it. Lead Captain Burd and his two men (whom he calls Bor and Soren) in after a short inspirational speech.
You can enter the gate without Burd and his men. Once you get to the top of the Fury Spike, your journal will update, telling you to show Burd how to close the Oblivion Gate using the Sigil Stone. If you use the wait command, Burd will soon appear before you and the quest goes on as normal.
 Leading the Charge
This Oblivion area has few things of significance, as it's mostly a winding, linear path to the tower. You may find a lone guard fighting daedra along the way. You may enlist his help or order him to flee. There are various daedra scattered about along with some treasure and plants. Once you reach the tower, go inside and make your way to the top. The guards will likely be of good assistance to you providing you can keep them alive. Burd is flagged as essential so he will only become unconscious. Your companions will charge an enemy as soon as it spots you or you attack it. Rest in safe areas to heal the guards as needed. They will also tend to get in the way of your attacks but don't seem to mind being hit a time or two (Warning: If you hit them a third time, they will turn on you. Simply yield to them and they should stop attacking). If you land the killing blow on a guard, you will receive the usual bounty of 1000 gold for murder, but the remaining guards will not try to arrest you until you come back to Bruma. Your disposition with Burd will also fall to zero.
 Assaulting the Sigillum Sanguis
Near the top of the Sigil Keep, you will encounter a Dremora Sigil Keeper (he is no tougher than the daedra you have already encountered). Take the Sigil Key from him or pick the lock on the door that leads to the Sigillum Sanguis. Be warned that there is a small concentration of daedra guarding the Sigil Stone. Note that if you brought Burd into the gate with you, he must be present in the Sigillum Sanguis for you to remove the stone. If you told him to wait or left him far behind, you will have to go back and find him.
 Back in Bruma
Once the gate has been closed and you are back in Bruma, talk to Captain Burd again. He says that he thinks he can handle any more gates that open around Bruma. Return with the news of your success to Jauffre. Speak to Jauffre for an optional sidequest (Allies for Bruma), or speak to Martin to continue with the main quest line.
- Sometimes when you recover the Sigil Stone, nothing happens and the only way of continuing the quest is by opening the console and typing
- Entering the Oblivion Gate from the back (the side not facing where Captain Burd is initially waiting for you) causes a glitch where Captain Burd will not follow you into the gate. To solve this, just hit Burd until he attacks you, run to the Sigil Stone, and then yield to him.
- It is possible for Burd to fall into the lava or the column of fire in the middle of the Fury Spike. Because these cause continuous damage, Burd becomes permanently unconscious and it is impossible to get him to the Sigillum Sanguis. If this occurs, your options are to:
- Reload from an earlier save;
- Travel back to Bruma and wait for Burd to respawn (This takes about 73 in game hours). Then when you enter back through the gate Burd will be waiting for you.
- Use the console command
- The red Oblivion sky may turn into 'ordinary' sky, following ordinary day/night cycles, while inside the Gate.
 Journal Entries
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- On the PC, it is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MQ10 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.
|Prev: Blood of the Daedra||Up: Main Quest||Next: Blood of the Divines|