(Click on any item for details)
Levitate M points for D seconds
Causes the target to be able to walk on air. The speed of movement through the air is determined by the value M, and also by the character's Speed attribute. This can be used both to reach high inaccessible places and also to gain an advantage in combat. Attacking non-flying, non-archer/mage opponents while levitating will often cause them to run away in terror since they are unable to hit you. Casting levitate on friendly targets does not start combat.
Levitation can also be used as an offensive spell if its strength is set to a low value. It costs little magicka and renders enemies almost immobile, similar to burden. Such a spell is particularly effective against flying enemies like Cliff Racers, as it causes them to crash to the ground and take falling damage.
You may not rest while levitating. You may also find that in some cramped quarters, it will be impossible to move while levitating, as your head gets stuck in the ceiling. You should also be careful to keep an eye on the duration of the spell so that it does not wear off while you are in mid-air, causing you to fall and get hurt or even killed. (A Slowfall spell or any other method can help prevent this.) There does not seem to be any known height ceiling to levitation. You can keep going up for a very long time, long after the game-fog completely obscures your view of the ground. If you cast a Levitate spell, and then use fast travel, the spell will continue to its full duration as if the travel was instantaneous, even though in game-time it can take hours on certain routes.
 Related Effects
 Alchemy Ingredients
The following ingredients can be used to make a potion of Levitate:
- With a high enough intelligence it is possible to get an effective speed well above 100 by creating potions (if you have problems with moving too fast to control your character try switching to third person as this slows you significantly).
- You cannot levitate in Mournhold. The in-universe reason given is that levitation offends the goddess Almalexia, but the technical reason is presumably because the city is in an interior cell, and levitation would make it possible to fly over the walls and see the unrendered world beyond.
- Levitation can also be used as an effective weapon for mages against melee-based NPCs: a Levitation 1 pt for 60 seconds on target can essentially paralyze a character, making it an easy target for further attacks.
- If you levitate into lava it does not hurt you, even if you're knee-deep in it.
- If you levitate while entering a door to another cell, your PC snags on the floor and cannot move until you go up, above the floor. This bug progresses from a minor annoyance to a major obstruction in the South Wall Cornerclub if you have an extended levitation in effect, where even the previously described work-around does not work; you can talk to Sottilde if you point at her hand, but you can move no further until either the effect wears off, or you leave the cell.