|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
Summerset Isle (sometimes spelled Sumurset Isle or Sumerset Isle, and known by the second Aldmeri Dominion as Alinor) is a large island to the southwest of Tamriel's mainland. The Summerset Isles encompass a second, smaller island. In addition, it once contained the island system of Pyandonea, who seceded after a war with the King of Summerset. Summerset Isle is inhabited by the Altmer (called High Elves by Imperials), of whom magic is said to flow through their very veins. While the Sload are believed to be the first inhabitants of the Isles, it is believed to be the first province occupied by the Aldmer.
Summerset Isle was the last nation in Tamriel to be brought into the Third Empire during the Tiber Wars. In 2E 896, Tiber Septim wielded the Numidium against the capital city of Alinor, forcing the city's surrender within minutes. Summerset Isle was then absorbed as a province of the Empire.
During the Oblivion Crisis, Summerset Isle was beset by daedra. The Crystal Tower was toppled by the daedra hordes. The Thalmor, once a minority voice, were given greater power and authority in order to deal with the crisis. They were successful and came to be seen as the saviors of Summerset Isle. In 4E 22, the Thalmor took control of the Summerset Isles and renamed them Alinor. Valenwood was brought under the Thalmor's control in 4E 29, recreating the Aldmeri Dominion. Later, the former Confederacy of Elsweyr joined the Dominion as two separate client states.
Little of the geography of the Summerset Isles is known. Cloudrest, atop Eton Nir, the highest mountain in Summerset, is an odd mixture of architectural styles, with buildings like strangler vines, built on top of older structures. The oldest, and most isolated, of all ruins there are made of coral, which must have been carried many, many, miles away from the sea. This highly suggests original occupation by the Sload.
The Isle of Artaeum is the third largest island in the Summerset archipelago, located south of the Moridunon village of Potansa and west of the mainland village of Runcibae. Artaeum is the home of the Psijic Order, the oldest monastic group of Tamriel.
The Isle of Artaeum has idyllic orchards and clear pastures, still and silent lagoons, misty woodlands, and the unique Psijic architecture that seems to be as natural as its surroundings. The Ceporah Tower is a relic from a civilization that predates the High Elves by several hundred years. It is the location of the Dreaming Cavern, which Sotha Sil once used as some sort of portal into the realms of Oblivion, but which has since been sealed off by the Psijics. The Isle of Artaeum was once removed from the world in a similar fashion to Umbriel, but reappeared about 500 years later. The Isle of Artaeum once again disappeared around 100 years before the civil war in Skyrim, and has not been seen since.
The Isles are divided into different Social Classes. The Wise are teachers and priests, then come Artists, Princes, Warriors, Workers, Merchants, and Landowners. At the bottom are the beasts such as the tamed goblins, which are enslaved. All is not well in the Isles, however, as the Sload constantly use their necromantic powers to attack the Isles, such as in the Sack of Skywatch in 1E 1301 and the War of the Uvichil from 1E 2911 to 1E 2917.
 Notable Places
- The capital of the Summerset Isles. It is located on the western shore.
- The island sanctuary of the Psijic Order, it has a tendency to vanish.
- A city on the north-central area of the largest Isle.
- Crystal Tower
- Also known as Crystal-Like-Law, this structure is of symbolic importance to the Altmer just as White Gold was for the Ayleids.
- A city on the southeastern shore of the largest Isle.
- Eton Nir
- The tallest mountain in Summerset Isles, and is the site of some of the Isles' most amazing architecture. It is located in the north-central area of the largest Isle.
- A city on the northern area of the second largest Isle.
- A city on the northwestern shore of the largest Isle.
- A city on the eastern-central area of the largest Isle.
- A city near the center of the second largest Isle.
- A city in the south-southwestern area of the largest Isle.
- The different spellings of Summerset Isle are found on the Arena map (also seen in Daggerfall) and Sumurset Isle on the Redguard map.
- During the game of Oblivion you may overhear NPCs talking about trouble in Summerset Isle, quoting "I understand Daedra worship has become increasingly prevalent in the Summerset Isle." "They say syndicates of wizards have led a boycott of Imperial goods in the land of the Altmer." and "The Altmer have powerful wizards. It could become a dangerous situation."
 See Also
- Featured in:
- Father Of The Niben by Florin Jaliil — Translation of the fragmented journal of Topal the Pilot
- Feyfolken by Waughin Jarth — The Great Sage tells a story of Artaeum, Psijics, and Robotic Enchanters
- Fragment: On Artaeum by Taurce il-Anselma — A work explaining some of the history of the Psijic island of Artaeum
- Galerion the Mystic by Asgrim Kolsgreg — A biography of Galerion, a Psijic who founded the Mages Guild
- Origin of the Mages Guild by The Archmage Salarth — Where and how the Mages Guild started
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition/Aldmeri Dominion by Imperial Geographical Society
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition/Summerset by Imperial Geographical Society
- Rising Threat by Lathenil of Sunhold — A multi-volume series on the threat posed by the Thalmor
- ^ Rising Threat, Vol. II — Lathenil of Sunhold
- ^ a b A Concise Account of the Great War Between the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion — Legate Justianus Quintius
- ^ a b c Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The Blessed Isle: Alinor and the Summersets — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- ^ On Artaeum — Taurce il-Anselma