Daggerfall:The Acceptance Test
 Quick Walkthrough
- Murder at least three citizens or fifteen town guards.
- Wait for about three days to receive a letter via a deaf and dumb urchin.
- Travel to the first town mentioned in the letter.
- Meet your first contact, a poisoner, in the first town and get a bottle of snake venom.
- Travel to the second town, as named by the poisoner.
- Gain entrance to the residence where your victim is living.
- Find the wine decanter and pick it up.
- Drop the decanter with the poisoned wine from your inventory and leave the residence.
- Travel to the third town, where a Dark Brotherhood contact is waiting for you.
- Report to him to be accepted into the Dark Brotherhood.
- Be sure to follow the time limits.
 Detailed Walkthrough
About three days after you have murdered at least three citizens or fifteen town guards, you will receive a letter. The letter, handed to you by a deaf and dumb urchin, contains the following message:
The Dark Brotherhood has been watching you. You have slain without sanction several times. You must now join us, or be counted as our foe. Travel to (first town) in (current region) and see (poisoner's name), who will give you further instructions.
 Quest Object
The quest takes place in the region where you received the letter.
If you want to accept the letter's offer, travel to the town that it mentions. Ask about the poisoner until you discover his/her location; meet him/her there.
He will greet you and say:
Ah, you must be (player's name). The Dark Brotherhood has been watching you. You have proven you can kill with a blade. The Brotherhood does not tolerate rogue assassins. You must either join us, or be marked for death. The Brotherhood will initiate you as a full member if you take this (poison) and place it in the wine decanter of (victim's name) in (residence) of (second town). You have (time limit) days to do this and report to (Dark Brotherhood contact's name) in (third town). The blessings of Mephala upon you, (player's name).
Travel to the second town and ask around until you know the residence's location. If it is daytime, the entrance door may or may not be locked, depending upon the type of residence. However, if the entrance door is locked you must either lockpick the door or have an Open spell at hand. In the residence, find the wine decanter, which will look like a potion standing on the ground. Pick it up by clicking on it; if you have the poison in your inventory it will automatically be mixed with the wine. You will get the following message when this is done:
The (poison) clouds the wine but briefly. In a few seconds the drink looks normal again. Now all you have to do is put it back.
Just drop the wine decanter from your inventory to the ground and leave the residence. While you remain in the residence, it is possible for a couple of spellswords to show up.
Travel to the third town in order to meet the Dark Brotherhood's contact; ask around in town until you know where he can be found. If you report to the contact without completing the assassination, you will lose an immense amount of reputation with the Brotherhood and its associated factions. In addition, two assassins and two nightblades will show up at the residence to kill you in place of your victim.
 Quest End
If you have done everything accurately, the Dark Brotherhood contact will greet you when you report to him:
Well done, (player's name). (victim's name) was stricken with sudden heart failure. Poor bastard. You have shown you can kill with care and not just with a bared blade. You are now a full member of the Dark Brotherhood. Anytime you enter a town, you will know if there are any guild buildings there. It is customary for the novice to receive payment of a single gold coin for his first sanctioned death. Here is yours.
 Reputation Gain/Loss
A successfully completed task will gain you no reputation.
If you ignore the letter the quest will count as failure after the time limit expired and you will lose reputation as shown in the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
If you accepted the assassination, but didn't complete it successfully, you will lose reputation according to following table.
|The Dark Brotherhood||-35|
|Associated factions of the Dark Brotherhood||-18|
If you accepted the assassination, but haven't completed it successfully and report to the Dark Brotherhood's contact, you will lose reputation according to following table.
|The Dark Brotherhood||-150|
|Associated factions of the Dark Brotherhood||-75|
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered in the tables)
In addition, you will no longer be able to join the Dark Brotherhood if you ignored the letter or failed the assassination.
- 3x One Spellsword every three in-game minutes (25% chance) as long as you are in the residence
- Two Nightblades if you report to the Dark Brotherhood's contact without completing the assassination
- Two Assassins if you report to the Dark Brotherhood's contact without completing the assassination
- The time limit for responding to the letter is not specified, but it seems to depend on the size of the region.
- Although it was intended that you would be paid one gold piece for your efforts, you will actually receive nothing.