Daggerfall:Former Student Part I
 Quick Walkthrough
- Talk to a questgiver of the Mages Guild.
- Head to the town the questgiver points you to.
- Find Baltham Greyman and talk to him.
- Choose whether you kill him or let him go
- In case you killed him return to the questgiver and collect yor reward.
- In case you let him go, deliver his letter to the questgiver and collect your reward.
- Be sure to follow the time limit.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Quest Offer
You are loyal member of the Mages Guild, are you not, (Brother/Sister)? I have some guild business of the gravest import that I would like you to handle.
 Quest Acceptance
Questgiver goes on:
Very good. There is a rebel mage that we need eliminated, by the name of (Baltham Greyman). A former pupil of mine, showed some promise but lacked the loyalty to the ancient principles of the Guild that are so important to its continued survival. We have learned that (he) is currently doing some kind of unsanctioned research over in (town), apparently oblivious to (his) danger. You have (time limit) days to dispose of this menace and report back to me.
 Quest Decline
Perhaps you are not as loyal as I thought.
 Quest Object
Head to the town the questgiver mentioned to you and learn the location of Baltham Greyman by asking around in town. Once you know where he is, meet him and talk to him. When talking to him he will say:
So, (questgiver's name) has sent another of (his) lackeys to bring me to heel. The old women who run the Mages Guild have no sense of adventure, take no risks, dare nothing, and learn nothing. I have never lifted a finger against them, except to repudiate their control. Yet, simply because I refuse to abide by their rules, the Mages Guild would slay me! Why do you give them your blind obedience, killing on command like a hired assassin? Join me and we will defy them all.
Choice, either to carry out your orders and kill him, or join him in his endeavors.
- In case you decline, he will attack you. If you don't kill him on the spot he will teleport himself outside and will invite you to follow him. Outside he will once again give you the opportunity to choose either to kill him or join him. During this battle he will teleport himself three times a short distance away from you, if you don't manage to kill him before. After every teleportation he will once again let you choose. After the third time he will no longer teleport himself away and you must kill him to end the charade. Collect the loot from his body and report back to your questgiver. Collect your reward, a random magical item, afterwards.
- If you accept, he will say
Wonderful! Just tell old (questgiver's name) that I was not here, but left this letter for (him). I must depart, but I will contact you as soon as I can cook us up a truly smashing adventure. Ta ta!
He will also give you a letter for the questgiver before disappearing. The letter says:
Dear (questgiver's name),
So sorry I missed you. I would love to catch up on old times with you. Do you remember the days when I dutifully learned at your knee, as if you had more to teach me than the stale repetition of past greatness? (random Baltham Greyman), the Archmagister (random Archmagister's name) -- in their day the Mages Guild was an institution worthy of respect. No more I cannot offer my allegiance to a Guild whose sole purpose is to quash all original thought. If you send more of your enforcers against me, I will be forced to defend myself. Consider yourself warned. Your humble pupil,
Deliver this letter to the questgiver and collect your reward, a random magical item.
 Quest End
When you report back to the questgiver after killing Baltham Greyman he will say:
Very good, (Brother/Sister). The Mages Guild cannot survive if we do not enforce our own rules, harsh as they may seem.
I made this (magical item) myself as a token of my appreciation for your service to the Mages Guild.
In case you let Baltham Greyman go, the questgiver says after reading the letter:
Why...that impertinent! I am speechless! You can now see why (Baltham Greyman) must be stopped at all costs, before (he) undermines everything the Guild stands for. It is unfortunate that you missed that miserable little sot, but I have no doubt that we will soon track (him) down again.
 Reputation Gain/Loss
In case you killed Baltham Greyman or let him go, the quest will count as success.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|The Mercenary Mages||+5|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
- Quest Target: One Mage
- This quest is only available with the CompUSA Special Edition Patch.
- In case you let Baltham Greyman go, this quest will be the prelude for two more quests with him.
|Prev: None||Next: Former Student Part II|