UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 

Ever do it?
Yay 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
Nay 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
I despise you 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Newsound efficiency test
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
With one of my lastest characters (you must hear that a lot from me) I decided to try out this 'efficient levelling' for the first time.

For you who don't know efficient levelling is, it's where you get a x5 multiplier for all three attributes on your level up. To do this you got to train your misc skills aswell as your major/minor's, for example I would train 3 points in marksman (major) and 7 points in block(misc) which would set my multiplier to x5.

What's good about one of the 'newer' patches is that you don't even get capped at a x3 multiplier if you have only been training in a misc skill, what I mean by this is that I didn't take endurance in my major or minor's but still managed to get that beautiful x5 multiplier when I trained 10 skill levels in heavy.

Anyway...bit side-tracked on that one, what I'm wondering is how many peoples do this and if you have any tips about it. Also don't forget to vote (not that it is of any relevance :roll: )

Post subject: Re: Newsound efficiency test
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:22 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:03 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Nah. Who cares, when you can just sneak up and slash open someone's back?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:39 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
I've been thinking about trying it. I just recently learned about it, although the concept makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:44 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
I think it adds another dimension to the game. You can get stronger at lower levels. it's fun to complete the game at a level 12 or lower. I want to try getting a 100 base to all my attributes including luck by level 30.The plan is choose a custom class with luck as an attribute. That bring it to 50. then use the bitter cup to add 20 pts to luck at the cost of bringing something else down 20. That will bring it to 70. If at every level I add one more pt to luck after 30 levels I will have 100. If I can add 5pts to two other attributes I will get a total of 300 pts added to the other 7 attributes. It will be close I might have to go a little higher.

Edit p.s. I just ran some numbers and maybe level 40 is a more realistic goal for this. :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:02 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
I was just starting to do that until my game glitched and became near unplayable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:36 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:04 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:14 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
efficient leveling kinda changed my whole game strategy. I start out with a skill set that I can do well with and survive with but The skills I want to really excel with I keep as miscellaneous. I will start with Axe and light armor as major skills but train in blunt and med armor which I keep as misc. skills. When those skills are better than my original skills I switch. This lets me run my blunt up to 90-100 and become a guild master in 4 different guilds. If it were a major or even minor skill I would be leveling up too fast and not be able to get my +5 attribute. Towards the end of the game I am never using any of my major or minor skills and have to train in them just to level up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:12 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:
I got cheesed off with the artificiality of "skill grinding". It just seemed petty and pointless. I felt like I was playing the game coding, not the game.

So I went off and found Madd Leveling. Much better in my view - I earn an attribute for every 3 skills gained with that governing attribute. When I level, I get a 1x multiplier - so the coins do nothing now. Best bit is I dont waste gains - in the old system if you accidentally get multipliers towards 4 categories, one will be wasted.

However, I dont need to grind, I get my attribute raising as I work on it, and if involved in a big quest, I may go up 2 levels in one go; I dont need to stop partway to maximise my attribute gains.

The cost, is that instead of 10 skill gains to get +5 on an attribute, it now takes 12. (4 x3 + final 1x multiplier).

Im far far happier playing with this - I can get on with the job of playing the character, rather than trying to play the code.

RichK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:19 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
I have done some skill grinding but there is "wealth beyond measure" after all and training is about the only thing that makes sense to spend all the loot on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:41 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:

Post subject: Efficient leveling or playing through?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:11 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 5
When you finally get off the boat in Seyda Neen, do you try to level efficiently or do you just play through?

The first time I played Morrowind I just barreled through; this time, I thought I'd try to level efficiently, but I find that it never really makes that much of a difference to the difficulty or gameplay for me - or maybe I just don't see it. Do you guys think it makes a difference to level efficiently, do you ignore it, or do you just do it for the 100-stat kicks?

Post subject: Re: Efficient leveling or playing through?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
For me it is just for kicks. I am not very strict with myself as far as not getting skill increases that don't contribute to higher attributes. it is kind of a handicap to add another dimension to the game. I guess it is sort of like saying I am only going to use destruction as my only weapon. it can make the game different and fun even if it is not practical.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:46 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
If I had to name one word / expression I hate in our "Brave New World", Aldous Huxley, it might be efficiency - instead of living our lives, and letting others live theirs... we've all become so G*d d****d efficient. Like when I read a book about productization in Health Care, I wondered how doctors and nurses ever could meet, treat and heal patients before this grand expression was introduced.

But somehow they managed to do it.

Play the game, take your time, seek for new angles of approach, you might even cheat a bit...? And there's always a good way to get fresh blood in your veins: start a new character. Try different races, there's a lot of them.

Of course, if you want to make it through like a German tank division in WWII, go for the efficient. It has its own dimension, undoubtedly. Not very appealing to me, but I can understand it. But one point is, if you get too far too fast, there's no real excitement... you just collect gold and items.

The key word might be: enjoy! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:34 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Erm I created a topic like this a week ago:

Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:39 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 5
Oh, I don't know how I could have missed your topic on this, Newsound. (Must be those aging eyes.) My apologies!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:26 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:35 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games:
Platform:
Merged both topics :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:51 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games:
yes, they can't destroy the world...hopefully. oh and i despise you newsound, hiss

"I have a hypothesis that the number of Tyrannosaurs dressed as Santa Claus in your lecture notes is inversely proportional to the quality of the lecture."
- Argonanza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:41 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games:
Platform:
On my latest character, a male khajit, I started a custom class with speed and agility as my favorite skills. Picked the steed birthsign so I started with 60 agility and 75 speed ( I hate being slow right off the back). I play on xbox, and have played through te game many times so I'm not ashamed to say, I exploit creeper and train all the way up right off the back. I always get the mentors ring and put alchemy and mysticism in my major or minor skills. I find it easy to almost cap out right in balmora. The way I do it is train my enchant, long blade, and short blade up ten points ( this will give you a five time multiplier in speed, intelligence, and strength) I do this until my intel is at 100 (though it will be 110 with mentors ring) after doing this you anexploit the master trainers glitch with security for your level( assuming it's major r mind) and keep levelingmisc. Skills governed b by whatever attribute you want and viola! Unlimited levels and 5x multipliers. I hope that makes sense

EDIT: I typed this on my phone so excuse the spelling errors

Last edited by H8Ball on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Double post merged to single

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:17 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Topic locked due to Necro-Posting. Please read the Forum Rules. This topic was inactive (dead) for over a month at the time of your post, and still remains dead. No-one has replied in 16 days since you posted to continue/bump it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]