UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Difficult to get NPCs to talk about joining the Morag Tong
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:44 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
Hello all!

tl;dr: Is it ever possible to trigger the NPC dialogue options that tell you where the Morag Tong headquarters is, so you can join?

I started playing Morrowind for the first time ever a couple of months ago. I'm at level 31, part way through the main quest, and I've completely finished a few of the guild quests. Earlier today, I decided to join the Morag Tong.

The says, in part,"When asking about the Morag Tong, you will be able to find out that their HQ is in...", and then describes where it is. So I started asking people.

Several people in Vivec had "Morag Tong" as a dialogue option, but when I asked them about it, all I'd get was reply; they'd never come up with a "join the Morag Tong" option. I tried getting their disposition to 100, with no change.

I also got to give me , but he wouldn't tell me anything else about joining them.

I dug around in cslist and found and , which I think are telling me that Savants in Vivec should be able to give me those lines, under some set of conditions. So I talked to , and I couldn't get any of them to give me that line. For a few of them, I tried raising their dispositions to 80-100, and they still wouldn't do it.

makes it sound like the Ordinators in a certain area should tell you, so I went to that area, talked to a couple of Ordinators, and they didn't have a "join the Morag Tong" option.

I ended up just going to the headquarters location mentioned in the wiki, finding the boss, and asking him to join. I got what I wanted, but it felt like cheating, a little bit. :)

I'm not sure if finishing some of the other guild questlines (including Thieves Guild and House Hlaalu) changed my disposition enough with some factions that they won't tell me about it anymore, or what. I never tried asking about joining when I was at a lower level.

I am playing on OpenMW 0.45, with all of the official DLCs installed, but no other mods. I bought Morrowind, including the DLCs, from GOG dot com in March 2022.

Thanks!

Drazeel

Post subject: Re: Difficult to get NPCs to talk about joining the Morag To
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:26 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 16
tl;dr: There is virtually no way to get the "join the Morag Tong" dialogue topic without finding their headquarters first. The best you can do is get a vague hint as to their whereabouts.

There are actually quite a few NPCs who have legitimate responses if you ask them about the topic "join the Morag Tong". Unfortunately, the way dialogue works in Morrowind makes it impossible to ever get this topic from anyone but the Morag Tong members in the secret headquarters (unless you either (a) use Command Humanoid on a Morag Tong member and drag them to Vivec, or (b) use the "" command in the console), so their responses are basically useless.

In order to get a dialogue topic, the relevant phrase must be present in the dialogue response of an NPC who has a legitimate response for that topic. In other words, in order to get the "join the Morag Tong" topic, you must speak with an NPC who both uses that phrase in a response and has something to say about joining the Morag Tong.

And therein lies the problem. The only place the phrase "join the Morag Tong" appears (aside from Eno Hlaalu's dialogue) is in a single response "spoken" by Morag Tong members themselves when asked about their organization:

"The Morag Tong is the ancient traditional assassins guild of the Dunmer. We provide three varieties of execution: public, private, and House War. We only recruit candidates of proven skill and honor, and only Grandmaster Eno Hlaalu in Vivec can authorize new members to join the Morag Tong."

In order for the phrase to trigger the dialogue topic, the Morag Tong member you are speaking to must have a response for it. And the only Morag Tong members who have a response for "join the Morag Tong" are ones located in Vivec (it's a condition attached to the response). And the only Morag Tong members in Vivec are the ones in the secret headquarters (aside from Huleeya, but he doesn't give you the above response and never uses the the phrase "join the Morag Tong", and so can't give you the topic). Which means, by the time you find someone who will tell you how to "join the Morag Tong", you've already found their headquarters, thus rendering all the hints in the other NPCs' responses for the topic rather pointless.

Not sure why it ended up this way; perhaps the developers originally intended to have (or thought there were) Morag Tong members elsewhere in Vivec, perhaps they intended to add a "join the Morag Tong" response for members outside of Vivec... who knows? Whatever the case, the best you can do now is get a vague hint. If you ask a certain in Vivec for the latest rumors, she will tell you: "This one overheard two cloaked characters whispering about a room underneath the Arena in Vivec." Not much to go on, but it's about all you're going to get.

And I ain't in it for the power
And I ain't in it for my health
I ain't in it for the glory of anything at all
And I sure ain't in it for the wealth

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:40 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0