UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Just for fun: Magehunters
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:12 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 0
I have been thinking. How would you all design a "Magehunter" class in Morrowind? I know something like this kinda-sorta already exists, on the form of, well, the Witchhunter, but I am curious as for how would you have made it( Using Morrowind class construction systen ). I have been pondering about a few possibilities...

Specialization: Stealth

Favoured attributed: Agility, Willpower.

Primary Skills: Sneak, Mysticism, Restoration, Marksmanship, Athletics.

Secoundary Skills: Alteration, Unarmored, Light Armor, Acrobatics, Long Blade.

Reasoning: Thinking here in terms of what would "realistically" work: If you are going to kill a wizard, and you yourself do not have magical abilities equalling or surpassing their own: Then you want to take advantage of the element of surprise. You want to be able to finish off a wizard before they get to cast a spell, as, if you DO give then time to cast a spell, well, as far as you know, that might be the end of you. This is why I chose the "Stealth" specialization, as well as skills like Sneak and Markmanship: As these would be the ones most effective for the strategy of killing a wizard before they get to cast a spell.

Failing that, you need stuff to fall back on. You might notice, most of the in-game spells to actually be effective for the purpose of fighting other wizards are on the Mysticism and Restoration schools( Namely, Spell Resistance/Spell Absorbtion/Reflection ), sooo there you go :p. Alteration is here mostly for the Shield spells, which is here to reach another thematic element of the class: Most wizards have access to the kind of spells that armor, at least mundane armor, just wont be usefull to protect against. A layer of steel will do more harm then good against a lightning bolt tossed at you. Therefore, someone who dedicated their carrier to fighting powerfull magic users would have to prefer fighting with either no armor or only armor that doesnt hamper their movements: So, cue the Unarmored, Light Armor, Athletics, and Acrobatics skills( Athletics is at the top because, as you all know, in Morrowind, the most effective defense against ranged spells is often for you to just run out of the way... Especially if you have a bow. Which this class helps you out with! ). Alteration is there to provide a means to defensd yourself against non-magical attacks through Shield spells, as wizards can have more battle-trained companions, or summon then, if the need calls for it. Lastly, Long Blade is there for a simple reason: If close-ranged combat does insues, a long, bladed weapon would be light enough to not otherwise hamper your movement, and also, one of the fastest ways to finish off a unarmored opponent. The main advantage of axes and maces, realistically, was the fact they were more effective against heavily armored opponents, which wizards often tend NOT to be.

Overral, this class is meant to be more thematic then "minmaxed" of course... The only problem is, if theme is what I am going for, I fear it might overlap a bit too much with the Witchhunter class...

Post subject: Re: Just for fun: Magehunters
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:42 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
Though not optimal, I went with:

Race: Argonian

Birth Sign: Atronach

Class Name: Spell-Eater

Specialization: Magic

Favoured Attributes: Willpower, Endurance

Major: Alteration, Mysticism, Restoration, Spear, Heavy Armour

Minor: Blunt Weapon, Armourer, Athletics, Alchemy, Enchanting

I had originally went with medium armour but the intention was to maximize AC so in the end decided on heavy. Alchemy is to offset no magicka regen with Atronach. RP wise I`m always of the impression that the best weapon against a mage is magic, but other than that brute force once you reach them

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:44 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Ah, I see. Well, my main logic was that, as I said, there are many forms of magical attacks that conventional armor THEORETICALLY should be useless against, So, your priority against a mage would be on mobility over defense, so you can actually dodge your opponent attacks and reach then as soon as possible.

... Come to think of it, does you armor rating affects spell damage taken at all?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:54 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 16

And I ain't in it for the power
And I ain't in it for my health
I ain't in it for the glory of anything at all
And I sure ain't in it for the wealth