UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: New to Morrowind: A Guide and FAQ for new players
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:02 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 4
Well... you can also enchant weapons with the Paralyze effect. I regard that effect as the best one out of all of them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:10 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
here's my advice to people playing morrowind for the first time:

recognize that it's better, far better, than what skyrim offers.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:46 pm 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 1
Great thread! Very helpful. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:25 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
I am new to these forums but not new to role-playing-games or character development. I love Morrowind and have played it a lot. I enjoy character creation and development most and have started many characters (often playing just 5-30 levels to check each one out). I read this thread... very nice.

It is about character selection/development I wished to make a point for beginners, contrary to what has been offered (as a alternative choice, not an argument). You have probably read in the wiki about efficient leveling. It is not necessary to follow it, but it can be fun to try to work to create a very powerful character (as fun as the quests and exploring). Some have advised never making tough-to-control skills as major/minor skills but after trying both ways I beg to differ.

In talking with new Morrowind players, I have observed that one definition is needed: Each skill has a controlling attribute so when this and other posts are talking about 10 skill increases in Strength, for example, that means any combination of 10 increases in any skill that has the controlling attribute of strength. If for example you have ten increases in strength skills and ten increases in endurance skills and no others and you hit level, you can, when you rest, increase strength by 5, endurance by 5 and luck by 1 (no skill has luck as controlling attribute). That, or increasing 3 attributes that are not luck by 5, is what is called "efficient leveling". It will never be perfect like that. You might, for example, also have 2 increases in agility, 2 in personality, 1 in intelligence and 12 rather than 10 in endurance. That is 7 "wasted" skill increases but you will waste some unavoidably and can afford to waste quite a few.

In particular I find that tough-to-control skills I will use, such as Athletics, Security, Restoration, Mercantile, Armorer, Heavy Armor make good major and/or minor skills (keeping in mind to keep at least a couple skills for each attribute in miscellaneous). These skills start out higher, and major/minor skills increase faster than miscellaneous if at the same level, but also, the higher a skill already is, the slower it increases. This strategy, rather than being perfect, allows a few "wasted" skill increases every level, but there are extras so even perfect results (all attributes maxed) can still be achieved (close counts). In fact allowing for that makes it easier. Who wants to walk instead of run all over to avoid wasting cheap, low level skill increases promoting speed (like Athletics)? There are other speed skills that are nearly totally controllable, so having those start low makes them easy to increase/train when speed (for example) increases are needed.

For example one character, a Breton with magic focus but focusing on fighting for the first levels (to get Endurance and Strength up) started with Restoration as major skill at 40. I do not want to focus on raising Willpower yet (since there are good reasons to increase endurance first), but after using healing whenever I needed it, at level 4, restoration is still only at 41. Thus 1 skill increase toward Willpower was wasted in the first three levels. Even if the goal is to get all attributes high, you can afford to waste a few skill increases (not have them count toward obtaining a x5 multiplier). If you focus on miscellaneous skills for efficient leveling you can overdo it. If you have more skill increases than the 20 (5,5,1 luck) or 30 (5, 5, 5), at ten per controlling attribute, then those are wasted. You need miscellaneous skill increases before you level, for efficient leveling, but then you do need to level up.

Wasting one skill increase to actually hit level is no big deal. There are plenty to waste if you keep the numbers that are wasted relatively small. The game allows as many levels as there are increases of major/minor skills by ten available. This turns out to be 70+ levels so even if you want to increase your luck to 100, one at each level up, if it starts out at 50, then there are 20+ levels you can take as 5, 5, 5. Sometimes, if something not yet desired levels a lot, due to the necessities of play, you can change directions and level it more and then go with 3 attributes x5 other than luck that level.

For example, starting out, even if you are pushing strength and endurance, you might only be wearing a few pieces of medium or heavy armor and your unarmored (speed) skill (as a miscellaneous skill) might get a lot of increases. Taking advantage of that and increasing all three of speed, strength and endurance for that level can actually be efficient in the long run. Maybe by level 2 you have a full set of armor of your choice.

The purpose of these words for the beginner is to make the game easier to play and efficiently level. Having starting skill in things like armorer, restoration, security, athletics, etc., can make the game fun and easier to play (i.e. the tough parts are actual enemies, not logistics of play). Obviously, as others have suggested here, I am in favor of trying out many different character combinations. This is not intended to promote any choice over another, but merely to help the beginner approach efficient leveling, and only if they choose not to ignore it entirely (which is okay).

Like any advice, find your own balance. Efficient leveling might be best treated as a way to choose strategies for each level and what quests or activities to do next as a guideline, rather than putting too fine a point on it or being too worried about the outcome. If an attribute is 100 vs 85 at high levels will it really matter? But if your endurance is low for a long time... that can matter, and it is more fun to be able to hit enemies, successfully meet faction requirements, cast your spells, pick your locks, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:38 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
Is there a way to check other windows to look at a guide or something while playing Morrowind in windowed mode? It'd be weird if you can't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:03 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 7

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6