UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New to Morrowind: A guide and FAQ for new players
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
what i figured on alchemy:

when your alchemy raises, it raises the succes chance, the potency and the duration of any potion you make

succes chance is fairly immaterial to power, but i have found no way to check things yet

I'm sure the increment is in partitions. Sometimes a health potion will increase duration, then healt gained per/x

What I am sure of is that each level in alchemy wil raise your price, even if the effects are not improved. I also know that 5 pts of int increase do not have a big noticable difference on you alchemy early on. I guess thats why the stacking potions exploits tries to bring it into the thousands

Post subject: Re: New to Morrowind: A Guide and FAQ for new players
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:06 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games:
Platform:
Played it for the first time.

And I find the lack of Quest Journal the biggest upset so far, cause I can't keep track of which quests I have completed, and which I still need to complete. (I know there's a journal, but it updates every time an update occurs, even on different quests).

Winner of the Molag Bal Games: XI, XIII, XV.

I used to take arrows in the knee, but then I took an arrow in the knee.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:52 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games:
Platform:
I know it's on J, but I didn't know which quests I completed, which quests are active, and so on...

Ok, I'll try to configure it with mods and other stuff.

Winner of the Molag Bal Games: XI, XIII, XV.

I used to take arrows in the knee, but then I took an arrow in the knee.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:30 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
I recommend the Lady birthsign for new players since it gives the player at least 5 levels worth of attributes(personality and endurance). Not a bad choice for those who can't decide what birthsign they want.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Lady is a great sign for thieves IMO - Personality makes life generally easier (not to mention Illusion spells, which are pretty handy for a thief) and 25 points in Endurance are fantastic, because most thieves wear light armor and light weapons, so they don't get multipliers in Endurance and increasing it is extremely slow.

EDIT: One question - the journal is a bit crappy (even the version with quests and alphabetical entries). Can you recommend a really good mod to make it more functional? The possibility of adding your own notes would be especially useful... It makes no sense from the RP standpoint - if my character learns something important, she's going to write that down. Right now I have to look in a notebook to remember a potion recipe, but if I had a chance I'd keep my cookbook in-game, because that's what my character would do - write that stuff down. And not mixed with dozens of random remarks - there should be a list of priorities, or categories, or something. Or maybe an option of selecting "active" quests - not just the ones you currently have assigned and not completed, but the ones you're actually trying to do at the moment.

Rule #137: Always waste time when you don't have any.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
I did a bit of digging, and there is a mod that allows you to manually write blank books and scrolls, allowing you to make your own journal, or recipe book.
Im new to writing on forums and it wont let me post the link, so just look for Writing Enhanced on the planetelderscrolls site

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 4
How might you write on the Xbox? Maybe connect a keyboard with a USB thingy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:56 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:10 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Thanks rpbraley868, I'll check it out.

Rule #137: Always waste time when you don't have any.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:13 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
I apologize if this is not the right place to post this question. I am new to both Elder Scrolls and Morrowind. I just started playing last night, and for some reason I'm taking a strength penalty. According to the Wiki, it should be 40, but it is 25 and the text is red. I'm wearing Light Armor (which I am proficient with), I am not encumbered, and I don't see any ill effects on me. I've tried resting and removing my armor, but nothing helps. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:24 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:43 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 5
Indeed, welcome to the Forums Theoxeny! This is exactly the place to post a simple enough question like this, I'm glad you decided to make use of the thread (which I keep telling myself I'll finish one day :lol:, with Skyrim related notes too)

Most likely you're Attribute has been damaged or you've been affected by a disease of either the Common or Blight variety. Maybe you recently fought a Bonewalker ro similar, or maybe a Mage who damaged your Strength?

should have all the relevant info you might need on the subject. should explain about how you can address the issue using Shrines, but are also an option if you happen to come across them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:54 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
Can NPCs steal your stuff?! All of a sudden I don't have my best sword and shield, and I know I didn't sell them!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:10 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Scozzar's right, so if you were recently arrested and the items were tagged as owned by an NPC they would have been confiscated. this can occur even if you didn't steal them, because of the way Morrowind deals with stacks, which means the owned tag applies to all the items of the type of the item you stole, not just the one you did steal.

You can get them back though, if this is the case. Just go back to the prison you were taken to, that is of course if you were arrested. The items should be in a chest marked "Evidence" at the Fort with a level 50 lock on it. might help you out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:12 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, what about Great House Guards?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
They still take you to the Imperial Prisons though, they are agents of the Imperial Law in addition to the Dunmeri Law. Although it's been a while since I've been arrested, too much trouble in Morrowind with stolen tags.

This is all assuming Theoxeny's problem is related to being arrested and not something else of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:42 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

hi guys. not looking to step on any toes, but I'd like to make a few observations.

first and foremost, there are several posts regarding combat and how it relates to attributs and skills, specifically agility. while this is great info for combat and stealth based characters, it almost completely ignores magic oriented characters. casters and spellchuckers could care less about agility. the primary attribute for sucessful spell casting is willpower.

on houses, I never see Shenk's in Caldera mentioned. there's a large spare room in the top back with decent storage, as well as various Fighter and Mage Guild halls, especially Ald-ruhn (sp?).

on the comparison of "combat" races, and this might just be a matter of opinion, but I don't really consider Dunmer or their racial ability to be combat oriented as much as stealth. Sanctuary avoids hits and does nothing for a combat character's armor skill. they seem more like a hybrid or jack-of-all-trades class to me. I always considered the combat races to be Nord, Orc, Redguard.

on that Orc racial ability Berserk, one thing that wasn't mentioned is the agility drain means Orcs get knocked down a LOT using it against strong or tough opponents. regardless of the attack bonus, you can't hit much after a full faceplant. I found this out from first hand experience fighting a Nord. regardless of the formulas and numbers, it looks a lot better in print than it actually works.

I don't know if the Orc's magic resistance applies to abilities and powers, but I know racial abilities work to either offset or enhance harmful magicka based effects from birthsign spells like the Serpent's damage health on self effect. bretons take half damage while high elves take 50% more damage. just another one of those minor nuances to take into account.

my god carries a big hammer. yours got nailed to a cross. questions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:07 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:25 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

my god carries a big hammer. yours got nailed to a cross. questions?

Last edited by Ragnarok on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:27 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Hi Ragnarok, don't worry about stepping on toes, this guide is still very much a work in progress and I’m always looking for active input from others! My next moves will be to post a fairly lengthy Faction ‘Comparison’ I’ve been working on, as this is another common question, and then to get to work on the Character Creation section. After which, I think it’d be a great idea to look more at spellcasting, which I’ve mentioned fairly briefly in looking at Luck (a post I’ve been meaning to update for a while actually – thanks for reminding me). When I get back from the beach I’ll have a longer look at the other posts in this thread including your’s and will incorporate them into the OP. As always, thanks for all the help guys! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Would it fit to have Quantum Entanglement's in this OP, behind a spoiler? I mean, it isn't really beginner stuff, so I guess not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
I've already thought about it, and will work them in to a new section, probably under spoilers simply for their length, provided Quantum Entanglement is willing. Truth be told, I've been much busier than expected these holidays, and I am still working on this and a similar one for Oblivion, both of which have hit a bit of a brick wall. I'm just back from the beach and going interstate in a couple of days, with no real solid internet access or time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:04 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:
Hey I bought Obilivion and Morrowind (both GOTY editions)for xbox and still can't get the hang of morrowind combat. any tips?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next