UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New to Morrowind: A Guide and FAQ for new players
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:54 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 5
Yeah, try or if you, or any other readers, are still looking for a download, although I stake it from your thread in MOD Morrowind/your PM, that you've already downloaded it successfully?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:28 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:31 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
I can see what you mean, installing it the first time for me was somewhat difficult, particularly on a Win 7 machine, it is worth it though, definitely. By the way, I'm looking into your problem, because I'm not too sure what exactly the problem might be at this point, but I'll reply to your thread in Mod Morrowind when I have something concrete.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:53 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:03 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 4
Have you bought Balyna's Soothing Balm or whatever? That can raise your Restoration skill quite a bit, given some time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:31 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
I'd personally invest in some training if I were you. Morrowind is the only TES game I use skill trainers in, I have not yet employed on in Skyrim, and I don't in Oblivion as a matter of principle, but in Morrowind, they're just too efficient to pass up. That being said, it normally works out fro me that I earn enough between level ups to pay for a hefty amount of training so that I can raise low level miscellaneous skills, or get nice Attribute bonuses on level up, or both.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

the best solution for magicka regen is to take a breton with the atronach birthsign and conjuration. you start with summon ancestor ghost spell which attacks with a ghost curse that you can easily absorb or brush off with the breton's inate magic resistance. spell absorption takes precedence so it will either get absorbed, reduced or ignored, in that order. just summon and attack your summons with fists until it becomes hostile, then absorb its magic attacks. heal as needed. it's also a good way to train armor skills since the summons only lasts for a minute while training conjuration. magicka regen on command. never need to rest.

my god carries a big hammer. yours got nailed to a cross. questions?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:32 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
I think you should add this guide how to bring back inventory, magick and stat windows if you close them, since it is common problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:27 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Good point, I do remember coming across that on these Forums once. I'm still planning on going through the Morrowind Forum to expand the F.A.Q section, but I just haven't had the time recently. I'll add this:

I've lost/accidentally deleted my inventory, stats or magic menu, etc. How do I get them back?
This occurs if you hit the little square in the corner of the menu. To retrieve your menus, click the icons in the bottom corner of your screen. Click on your current weapon for the inventory menu, the current spell for the magic menu and so on.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Is there any point to the Axe and Blunt skills other than RP? I am unsure what weapon skills to take, but ...all...well, most of the legendary weapons are Long Blade, so I find it hard to take anything but Long blade...

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
I would say you're probably right on the mark there, Long Blade would seem the most obvious choice, as there really is no difference between weapon skills and combat styles in Morrowind. Long Blade is one of the more versatile skills, and you are right in your assessment of the proportion of Artifacts that are Blades. Additionally, the Blunt Weapon skill provides a great adaptability and variety, with the two handed variety being amongst the most powerful base weapons in the game, Staves most useful for their ability to hold powerful enchantments and are generally faster then other Two-Handed weapons, and Maces are a mid-point which allow for the use of a shield. Also of some note, if you're not using the "Always Use Best Attack" function, then Axes are best as Chopping weapons, so a bit of a gameplay/roleplaying option there.

That all being said, you could also choose Spear, being the only weapon skill governed by Endurance, and thus a great way to raise Endurance quickly, while still providing a number of powerful Artifacts like The Spear of Bitter Mercy (which can achieve a higher base damage than Umbra and the Daedric Crescent, but not as high as Chrysamere or Sunder) and the Spear of the Hunter.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:41 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I'll second what duruza posted. while not immediately obvious, blunt is one of the weapon skills I always take right next to long blade. blunt helps faction rank adancement among Fighters Guild, Imperial Cult, Imperial Legion and Tribunal Temple.

beside the artifacts like the Mace of Molag Bal, Scourge and Skull Crusher, not to mention Sunder, there are a number of non-artifact blunt weapons that are desireable, including Veloth's Judgement. the sixth house bell hammer is one of the easiest high damage blunt weapons to attain early on at low levels and the ebony staff has the highest enchantment value of any other weapon in the game right next to the ebony scimitar one-hand long blade if you have tribunal expansion installed.

axe doesn't provide quite as many options, but the bound axe spell summons a zero weight daedric battle axe that also automatically buffs your axe skill by ten points and is likewise one of the highest base damage weapons available early on. bound weapons specifically, and conjuration in general, are a great way to simultaneously train several armor, weapon and magic skills.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:59 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
I've only recently got into playing Morrowind and i'm wondering how much you need to efficiently level? As i'm leveling just now i'm only getting 2x or 3x multipliers. I know in oblivion it was important as the enemies leveled with you but i'm worried i'll run into problems towards the end of the main quests.
My character just now has:-

Strength - 62
intelligence - 43
willpower - 30
agility - 71
speed -92
endurance -42

initially I put a lot into speed..... i like to be able to out run things if i get into trouble. But i've realised that i'm going to run into trouble against spellcaster with my willpower so low......

what quests are good to do for level 11 characters? and can anyone suggest ways to improve or make the best of my character just now?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, in Morrowind, the enemies don't level up with you (most of the time), so you don't have to worry about efficiently leveling as much as Oblivion. So what kind of character are you playing right now?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:01 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
I'm currently a bosmer, I'm using a mix of long blade, bow and spear, not much of a magic user which is why my willpower is so low. I figure if I can get my agility high enough I should be good in melee and the spear is a weapon I didn't know much about as I played oblivion and skyrim first but its fast becoming my favourite to keep my distance. got a dwemer spear just now not sure where to find better ones for my level yet.

I'm glad I downloaded the overhaul mod as it brings the graphics to a good level which may be superficial but it helps to like what I'm looking at lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, I would advise getting your Endurance up, as it determines your maximum health and fatigue, so you increase your health and fatigue, and, well, since Spear is it'll be easier. Also, I would concur on agility, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:52 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
I'm just wondering which quests to do, I know I can only join one house so I'm undecided which one, and also when to do it as I've heard it can clash with the main quest? I like my character to be an honourable warrior type, so which house would best match that looking at it briefly I'm thinking redoran but I'm not sure.

the guilds are also something I'm unsure of, I've done a few mini quests for the fighters guild but nothing major. is it best to complete the main quest before the guilds and houses?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:05 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

In my opinion, a honourable warrior belongs in House Redoran, because, well, they are honourable warriors as well. I don't think it matters if you do the guilds first, then the main quest, etc, the only thing I would be careful about is when you do the main quest when you want to advance to Grandmaster or something in a House. I've heard that can prevent you from becoming that, I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:10 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
I'm sure I'll find out when I get that far, it'll take a while though cos I like to run around a lot and take my time, it was the same in oblivion I think I was about level 20 before I actually started the main guilds and main quest, everything before that was just the random wilderness quests and small ones in towns.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:49 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Abuse trainers to boost your spear skill. Why? Endurance and you can now actually hit stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:23 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
where are good trainers for spear? I found the one in Balmora fighters guild

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:
Hmm, I've actually never used spears before (though I've had it trained it often for mentioned reasons)...

That's something for my to-do list next month

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:28 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next