UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Salache, Boiche, Moriche
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:53 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 10
I'm fairly certain the UESP's treatment of these terms needs some tweaking, but I want to make sure it's done right.

In Daggerfall, listed these as names for Altmer, Bosmer, and Dunmer respectively. But this had evidently changed by the days of Redguard, see the bottom of the . Morrowind didn't use the terms at all. , introduced in Oblivion, makes references to the "saliache", apparently referring to Ayleids or some faction thereof. Nothing new on the matter in Skyrim.

Now, though, ESO refers to the early Bosmer as the Boiche Elves in . also mentions the Salache Elves. Some Altmer NPCs include the Salache Cryomage, the Salache Bonelord, and the Salache Sentinel.

So where does that leave us? Are these terms from the Aldmeris language? Are they Bosmeri, Ayleidic, both? And what about Moriche? I'm not familiar with any use of the term past Daggerfall, unless they have similarly revived it in ESO.

Last edited by Minor Edits on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Salache, Boiche, Moriche
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:07 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 20
I tend to think they were Ayleid terms that persisted in Cyrodiil, High Rock and Valenwood due to cultural intermingling. The "Mer" suffixes seem to be the Aldmeris ones.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.