UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lore General Discussion!
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:43 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 20

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
Aren't lizard men not even actual Argonians, but a completely separate species?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:10 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:01 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
If Morihaus was a winged minotaur, why does his statue look like this? https://en.uesp.net/wiki/File:OB-misc-M ... Statue.jpg Also, the Skyrim loading screens about Morthal refer to him as a "Nord" hero.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:08 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:19 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 420

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
You know those multiple choice questions where you can technically guess the correct answer whilst being completely ignorant? I feel that's the case with Dunmer. An ignoramus distrust dark elves because of their race. A person with partial knowledge correctly believes that one should not judge anyone else based on their race. However, someone who knows Dunmer culture knows that 2/3 dark elven gods literally tell their followers to murder their friends (see Mephala and Boethia in Skyrim), and therefore, those who follow such a pantheon cannot be so readily trusted.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:32 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
Just to confirm, given this: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Racial_Phylogeny someone with an Imperial mother and a Nord father would end up with Imperial traits, but a Nord name, correct?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:13 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 14
Names are more contingent on culture and circumstance. Its how you can end up with a Khajit with an imperial name, or a nord with Orcish. As far as those born under mixed blood, its ultimately a toss up really. Like I imagine given your example.. it could just be like a preference to like irl, or there could be other external factors like above.

Tldr the answer is yes :dur:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:40 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
Posting this now, so I don't forget, but Merry Saturalia:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:39 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
Cyrodilic nobles pooped their silken pants when the Longhouse emperors legalized Daedra worship, so how did the Septim emperors successfully do so?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Wait, what??

Also I imagine the emperors managed to justify either by the costs of trying to enforce it, and subsequently over plans to still enforce other laws that likely the more dangerous worshipers would still be guilty of.. like ritualistic murder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:37 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
You didn't know? https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Longhouse_Emperors and then https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Modern_Heretics

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:12 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Never played ESO so the Longhouse is new to me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:58 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
It would be amazing if Bethesda gave the storyline of the rise of Tiber Septim over to Nintendo and had them make a Fire Emblem game out of it, like full Fire Emblem otherwise, but the story is the rise of the Septim Empire.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:29 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
While legendary heroes (Pelinal, Tiber Septim, etc.) were supposedly incarnations of Lorkhan, this does not apply to the player heroes, right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:05 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
Ocheeva once said that there is no divinity beyond Sithis. When you think about it, that actually makes sense. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat This is a fairly well-known philosophical thought experiment, but one resulting theory is if the scientist in this hypothesis who has that brain in a jar is himself a brain in a jar and that scientist is himself a brain in a jar and so and so on and so forth.

Given this, I'm reminded of those stories where there is an afterlife where you can still die. For example, in Spawn, Clown tells Spawn that he can still die, if he's beheaded, and that's supposedly a permanent death. Ditto with Prinnies in Disgaea who died before making for their sins. However, for people who never believed in an afterlife to begin with, they would have already considered their first death to be the end to begin with. To find out that there is not only an afterlife but one where they can still die would result in questioning in that afterlife has an afterlife, and so and on and so forth.

In the Knights of the Nine expansion of Elder Scrolls Oblivion, according to the Prophet, upon destroying Umaril's spirit form, his soul is "cast into the void" and destroyed, but if you're already a member of the Dark Brotherhood, you're already sending souls to the void on the regular and desire such an outcome for your own soul after you die. However, from what we see in Skyrim, those who serve Sithis loyally and are sent to the void can come back as spectral assassins. Basically, my thought process in this is like the consideration for enlightenment, but while enlightenment usually provides the mental image of going "up", this is more how low can you go. The after-after-after-after-after-afterlife.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:25 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Its worth pointing out that the DB arent devoid of outside influences. They are still very much at the service of Mephala, who in turn has a close relationship to Sithis/Padomay. So its not wrong to assume that their belief system when it comes to their service and the Void itself is being mislead, even if it has tangible effects. Though unlike the Morag Tong, the DB do clearly idolize Sithis more directly(tho they still worship via a patron)

Its by my understanding that the Argonians n Hist have the most pure interpretation of Sithis and in how they choose to represent him(tho their creation myth leaves more to be desired)

Given what we already understand of the Void itself, something that both predates Chaos or Stasis, unless something can isolate itself to form its own distinct realm, just like Padomay/Anu, they'll fade into the void, to be sent outside of the known realms n of creation is to meet their fate(or mercy). And while yes.. technically everything is encompassed by the void, Daedra for example arent exactly being sent to the void at their deaths, but to the region that Oblivion occupies.

Mind ya I'm not saying that Sithis cant have his own domain or realm, just look at how many Lorkhan has contrary to Mundas. But its just far more plausible that souls sacrificed or loyal to Sithis are being claimed by Mephala n fated to a realm in oblivion. So much of it fits in theme

Also on Umaril, it makes sense if you kill his spiritual form, his animus just like with daedra, then you effectively cut off his means of rebirth and actually deliver death. Whether its directly, or banishment to the void doesnt really change the result. If anything, being banished to the void by having both body n soul destroyed probably fits the definition of void, after all there cant be an afterlife if there is nothing left

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:19 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 420

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:58 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
From what the Prophet and Sir Thedret say, they seem to think that a "destroyed" soul gets sent to the Void, which they seem to believe is interchangeable with a state of nonexistence, given that they do not believe in Sithis, as the Dark Brotherhood do. I mean, while the Prophet and Sir Thedret seem to hold a more religious view, even the scholarly Nelacar does not seem to think that the Soul Cairn exists, as he believes that Malyn's soul is in that aforementioned state of nonexistence, despite that the fact that Dragonborn and the Battlespire Apprentice can straight up travel to where soul-trapped souls eventually go. The only other method of "destroying" a soul appears to be being eaten by Alduin, which results in that soul getting pooped out into the next kalpa. I just find stories that have afterlives and souls existing past the body odd when they also add an extra story point where a soul in the afterlife can be "destroyed", like the Prinny extermination story point from Disgaea 4.

If someone who never believed in an afterlife to begin with reaches the afterlife but are told that if their soul is destroyed, there is no after-afterlife, they would consider that claim ridiculous because it is an essentially an echo of what they heard when they were alive. In other words, for a mortal taught that there is no afterlife but then finds out that there is, why should the next "layer" of such a teaching be true, if the first layer were proven false? That's why I consider the Dark Brotherhood's worship of Sithis to be the ultimate power in the Elder Scrolls universe because they worship that which other faiths that have other afterlives fear, even with their belief of their own afterlife. Though, I guess Alduin worship is similar, but unlike the Dark Brotherhood's spectral assassins, "new kalpa souls" never come back to the current kalpa to prove that point.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:27 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
"Ayleid Empire" always sounds weird to me because one of the main reasons that they were defeated by the Alessian (actual) Empire was because they weren't a united empire, but rather a loose coalition of mostly independent city-states. The most obvious aspect of this is the lack of an emperor, only several (generally rival) sorcerer kings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:02 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
You want to see Redoran mental gymnastics about slavery in live action? https://www.reddit.com/r/ElderScrolls/c ... ?context=3 We don't support slavery. We just support the tradition of it (along with other traditions, of course). LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:31 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
With the recent Creation Club update, in regards to the Crusader Relics, where sinners can equip the items, just with a massive debuff, I just realized that, for Pelinal, those armor pieces weren't designed for protection. They were designed for restriction. It's a fairly common trope where an overpowered character has limiters to prevent him for being more OP. Which is to say, in terms of Pelinal himself, the less armor he wears, the stronger he becomes. Official art only shows him fully armored, but lot of books say that he has white hair, stained brown with blood, and a chest gaping open to show no heart, but neither would actually be known, unless someone saw him like that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:02 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
Generally speaking, warrior factions are portrayed positively, but I note that the warrior factions of both Oblivion (Fighters Guild) and Skyrim (Companions) have tortured (Ajum-Kajin) or implied to have tortured (whoever Aela was referring to when she was talking about prices and pain thresholds when researching the locations of the werewolf totems) someone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:42 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
I love how this https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Akatosh "Akatosh isn't a Jealous God" just takes a Bible quote and turns it on its head. Yahweh is jealous. Akatosh is not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next