UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: TES Short Tales Retold
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:52 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
"Close that damn door, you're lettin' all the warm air out!" one of the patrons yelled out as you entered this thread.

"Oh, s-sorry, I thought you were someone else", he stammered, apologetically, on seeing you. "Welcome to , grab yourself a warm pint o' mead from the barmaid and come join us over here by the fire. 'Tis so damn cold out there today, we've even got ol' here with us, as it's too bloody wet and cold for the carriage to go anywhere."

The patrons shuffle around and make room for you near the cozy fire. "Come, sit, we're spinning yarns here, tales that we've all heard before, but we're tellin' 'em our own way."

This isn't a roleplay thread. I just wanted to set the mood for the discussion. Many times in the past on other such forums I have seen threads started by keen n00bs who offer their services as writers. I believe we have similar threads here (not looking at anybody ). Rather than follow a similar pattern myself, I thought I might try something a little different. This thread is a place to re-tell other people's stories. Sometimes it can be really helpful to have another writer take a look at your work, pull it apart, and reassemble it differently, but in a way that is still recognizable as your story.

My wife is learning to become a professional scriptwriter, and over the last couple of weekends her class have been "workshopping" their plays. This involves them taking their current script to the "workshop" and allowing a professional director to look it over, along with a few professional performers. The script is then read through aloud by the actors. The director then takes over and basically pulls the script apart, rearranging it, or drilling down on a single aspect of the play to draw out more detail. Often the director will instruct the actors to ad-lib part (or all) of the play, telling it their own way. The whole workshop is immensely useful for the student scriptwriters, and they go home with screeds of notes and ideas to improve their play. There is no compulsion on the writers to use any of the content from the workshop within their play, they just take what they want from it and leave the rest.

Think of this thread as a similar "workshop" for your TES fan-fic short stories. Post a link to your Elder Scrolls themed short story, or to a single chapter of a larger work, and I'll see what I can do with it. I won't guarantee to re-tell every tale that gets posted here, or even to re-tell them in the order that they arrive in this thread. Just leave a link here, and if I do happen to re-tell your tale, I'll drop you a PM to let you know.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]