UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unrecognized Quest
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:15 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
I'm running a quest that I received from the Thieves Guild. I can't finish it with the quest giver and I can't match it up with any of the Thieves Guild or Merchant quests here. It's not one of the CompUSA Thieves Guild quests, but I wonder if it might be from one of the other quest packs. Does anybody recognize it?

I asked for a quest from the Daggerfall Thieves Guild quest giver. I didn't Talk to him, I used the Quest option. He then gave me a quest to go out and find wraith essence, ivory, and unicorn horn. He gave me 24 days. Now, there was no steal, or pickup, or person/location instructions, just go out and find them & bring them back.

I happened to have one of them already on me, I had another on my ship, and I got the last one trolling the alchemists. Anyway, since I only needed to get one from an alchemist's, and hit on the first one since it was an incense shop, it was long before the time ran out. I also noticed that they didn't have the green background tile either, but I don't know if that applies if this is from a 3rd party quest mod. When I go to the quest giver, I only get the regular talk dialog, no acknowledgement of the ingredients, and recalling back to something I think in Oblivion, I even made sure that I had exactly one of each.

Anybody have thoughts on this, or even recognize the quest?

As a side question, is it correct that if you use the Quest option with a guild quest giver that you'll get a guild quest and only a guild quest, and that you'll only get a merchant or other miscellaneous quest from a guild quest giver if you use the Talk option and get one that way? Just curious.

Thanks,

Frank

UPDATE:
I found the quest, it's a Thieves Guild quest from XTRAQST.ZIP, and the Help File readme references Daggerfall Xtra Quests Volume 1:

THIEVES GUILD QUEST 2 (O0B40Y13)
You are sent to find 3 special ingredients. You must track down the
locations.

The thing is, when I got the quest there was no mention that I had to track down special copies of those ingredients in a specific place...<sigh> I'm gonna go to a savegame and make sure there was no other info from the quest giver.
~~~~
UPDATE 2:
I did miss a piece of dialog that said it couldn't be store-bought and the only clues were that it was for a mage, and the mage said they would probably be stolen from some crypt. Still no location or person. I went through not all, but prolly most of the crypts/vaults/cemeteries in the Daggerfall region before time ran out, and nada. Oh well. Unless anybody has any further thoughts here, I'll guess I'll just skip it next time it comes up.

Post subject: Re: Unrecognized Quest
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:46 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
Hello,

I got this solved after much frustration.

Firstly, I talked to the spymaster (any news?) to get the first dungeon location. You can get it from any NPC just by asking news from them, but the spymater is easiest. He says something like: "A mage went to dungen xyz to find a Unicorn Horn."

FIRST ITEM
After I've seen this reply from a NPC, I go to the dungeon to find the Unicorn horn. It should be there, an item on floor and you get a confirmation message of finding it after picking it up. Be careful not to kill any monsters on top of it and accidentally missing it by hiding it under a monster. I had the horn then in my inventory as a quest item in ingredients section with green background.

SECOND ITEM
Then I teleported back to the city I got the quest from. This is where it gets interesting. I talk to the NPC again and repeatedly ask about news, until I get the same reply at least once about mage going to a dungeon xyz to find the Unicorn Horn. Yeah, the message is to same dungeon again and it's about the Unicorn Horn again. However instead going to the same dungeon again, I went to another random dungeon I had on the map near to the dungeon where the Unicorn Horn was. In my case the first dungeon was Alabywyr's Gaol. The one near it was The Agryn Prison, so I just randomly went to prison to look for the next item. In my case the next item was Ivory, and I found it there, lying on the floor and got a confirmation message when I picked it up. I made sure I have the quest item in the inventory.

THIRD ITEM
I think I first went to a third dungeon directly from the second, without teleporting back to town in between to talk to NPCs, and I did not find any items in the third dungeon. Then I teleported back to the city I got the quest from. I talk to the NPC again and repeatedly ask about news, until I get the same reply at least once about mage going to a dungeon xyz to find the Unicorn Horn... again the same thing. Then instead of going to either of the previous dungeon, I pick on randon near the first dungeon I haven't yet been while trying to get this quest done and there it is. In my case the third item was Troll's Blood and there it was lying on the floor and got a confirmation message when I picked it up. I made sure I have the final quest item in inventory.

(Btw. After talking to a NPC and then when choosing a dungeon, It might be worthwhile to pick a dungeon you previously know, and you know where the quest items typically spawn in that dungeon. It makes easier to go check if any of these quest items can be found there.)

I was able to successfully complete the quest then by talking to the quest giver NPC of thieves guild.

Before coming up with this solution I also tried to just visit random dungeons in random locations around Iliac Bay and loot endless amounts of treasures and kill massive amounts of different monsters. I also tried to buy the items from a shopkeeper but nothing else worked, except the method I explained.

Best Regards.

Post subject: Re: Unrecognized Quest
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:57 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 20
Thank you for sharing what you did, as it should help me when I start playing Daggerfall. :)