UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Opening Inventory Messes Up the Map...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:02 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
Hello! I'm a new user that really only got into the Elder Scrolls sometime last year; and so far, I've enjoyed it. Recently, I've tried my hand at Arena and have been enjoying for the most part. However, I seem to have come across a glitch where whenever I open my inventory/character sheet tab, the map tab afterwards blanks out when I open it. No walls, doorways, or my yellow marker...

Nothing I seem to try fixes it other than leaving the area and coming back. Obviously not ideal while in bigger dungeons. I've made experimental files while the map is glitched but those saves seem to be corrupted in someway since they take a long time to load in and freeze shortly after. This map deletion also seems to sometimes happen if I get attacked by an enemy while swimming/getting onto land.

I'm playing Steam's version. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, I'd appreciate any insight. :S

Post subject: Re: Opening Inventory Messes Up the Map...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:40 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 20
Are you talking about the main quest dungeons, the world map dungeons for the city rulers' quests and artifact quests, or the wilderness dungeons? I'm not sure which ones are stored in which files, but that might be a place to start investigating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:09 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
It happens with any dungeon while I'm inside it. It also happens to the maps of the city, inside buildings, and the wilderness. Although in the city/wilderness; rather than completely blanking out, it sometimes glitches into just a partial covering of the map. I still don't have the yellow marker of myself when that happens though.

The world map for fast traveling seems unaffected fortunately. I've never really gone file diving. I'd be a little worried about messing something up more. What would I generally look for?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:28 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:43 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 20
The only thing that comes to mind, in light of all that's been mentioned, is that the data for your location on the map might have gotten corrupted somehow, such that pulling up the map showed a blank display because the game was trying to show a location that was off the map. I don't know if that's a reasonable theory, since you'd think it would at least show a yellow pointer where it thought you were, but there must be different data fields for the map, such as ones for your location plus others for whatever location the map is "centered" on as you scroll around.

I once saw a streamer encounter a data glitch after he used a cheat to get his gear repaired-- either for free, or without having to wait, or both; I've never used that cheat and forget the details-- but afterward when he tried to ask about the location for the next dungeon of the main quest the NPCs kept giving him the name of a town that didn't even exist in that province, or something like that. Apparently the cheat he used caused some kind of data overflow which corrupted one of the adjacent data fields in memory, or something like that (I'm just SWAGging). Reloading from before he used the cheat fixed the glitch, but if you'd happened to use some kind of cheat you'd read about then you might want to avoid it in the future.

Anyway, it's unfortunate that you had to start a new game, although sometimes starting over works out for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:28 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1
I was going to say something snarky about Steam's DOSBox configuration but I have just installed the Steam version and everything looks fine, more or less.

The vanilla DOSBox v0.74 is way outdated though. You might want to switch to , for example -- it's vanilla enough but has various improvements, being built upon SVN versions of DOSBox (or maybe even try running the game in instead).